4670k Overclocking trouble, need help from the experts

dodgems

Agreed.  IBT is brutal and should only be used as a very quick test for stability if even that.

OP - just keep working your cpu voltage down until she isn't stable any more and then give it a slight bump, retest and you should be good.

I also agree with WW on his observation about being happy at 4.0Ghz with reasonable voltage and temperatures.  In real life that .02Ghz isn't worth that much if it means over-volting or over-heating your processor.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of mouse and keyboard do you have?  If they are both USB what ports are they connected too?

If you're using a USB mouse and USB keyboard, what other USB devices are connected at the same time?

If the USB mouse and USB keyboard are plugged into USB 3.0 ports, have you installed the USB 3.0 drivers from the mfgs. website or off the motherboard driver installation disk?

Is your OS updated with all of the latest Windows updates?

Agreed.  IBT is brutal and should only be used as a very quick test for stability if even that.

OP - just keep working your cpu voltage down until she isn't stable any more and then give it a slight bump, retest and you should be good.

I also agree with WW on his observation about being happy at 4.0Ghz with reasonable voltage and temperatures.  In real life that .02Ghz isn't worth that much if it means over-volting or over-heating your processor.

Thanks for advice, I did think IBT pushed it a bit far, prime95 never reaches temps like it does. I am running now at 4.2ghz and its very stable at 1.175v which i am happy with :)

About the USB, i have a 2tb external hard drive plugged in and a wifi TP-link wireless connection thing plugged in also but thats it. I have tried the mouse and keyboard on all the USB slots on the case now and still seems to take 35 seconds or so to start. I installed them off the motherboard driver installation disk :) should I try the ones from the website? I have a razr imperator mouse and a gigabyte k3 keyboard, I have installed the drivers for the razr but could not find any for the k3. Thanks :)

What kind of mouse and keyboard do you have?  If they are both USB what ports are they connected too?

If you're using a USB mouse and USB keyboard, what other USB devices are connected at the same time?

If the USB mouse and USB keyboard are plugged into USB 3.0 ports, have you installed the USB 3.0 drivers from the mfgs. website or off the motherboard driver installation disk?

Is your OS updated with all of the latest Windows updates?

I installed some drivers from the asrock site now, they start working quicker now but it is still about 10-15 seconds. Is there any settings in BIOS I could change?

As a test, disconnect your other USB devices and try booting with just the mouse and keyboard connected.  We need to test for any other USB device conflicts with your mouse and keyboard.

More often than not hangs like this are a result of other device conflicts, bad drivers, or sometimes even a defective USB device.

As a test, disconnect your other USB devices and try booting with just the mouse and keyboard connected.  We just to test for any other USB device conflicts with your mouse and keyboard.

More often than not hangs like this are a result of other device conflicts, bad drivers, or sometimes even a defective USB device.

Will get back to you, thanks! Ill try a combination of booting with different usb devices

As a test, disconnect your other USB devices and try booting with just the mouse and keyboard connected.  We just to test for any other USB device conflicts with your mouse and keyboard.

Okay I narrowed it down and found out its my TP-LINK mini wifi connector! Boots and keyboard/mouse responds fine if its not plugged in or if it has no drivers installed. I reinstalled the drivers for it in hopes of solving the issue but no luck. I also got a blue screen pulling it out of my computer when I was first testing. I think the device is okay because I used it on my last computer no issues. Is there any motherboard drivers that might be needed for the device?

Okay I narrowed it down and found out its my TP-LINK mini wifi connector! Boots and keyboard/mouse responds fine if its not plugged in or if it has no drivers installed. I reinstalled the drivers for it in hopes of solving the issue but no luck. I also got a blue screen pulling it out of my computer when I was first testing. I think the device is okay because I used it on my last computer no issues. Is there any motherboard drivers that might be needed for the device?

did you change os compaired to your previous computer?

it might not support windows 7 if it was from a vista/xp computer before.

did you change os compaired to your previous computer?

it might not support windows 7 if it was from a vista/xp computer before.

I havent changed OS no :( I still havent resolved the problem, not sure what to try next, hmm... thanks for all suggestions so far though people 

Hey dodg.  If you've already tried the latest TP-Link drivers and are still having the same problem you have a couple choices.  See if there is a firmware update for the wifi card, or find a different wireless solution.  I guess you could try the wifi card in different USB ports and see if you can find one that doesn't present a device conflict between the wifi card and your mouse/keyboard.

Hey dodg.  If you've already tried the latest TP-Link drivers and are still having the same problem you have a couple choices.  See if there is a firmware update for the wifi card, or find a different wireless solution.  I guess you could try the wifi card in different USB ports and see if you can find one that doesn't present a device conflict between the wifi card and your mouse/keyboard.

Firmware for the wifi card, I'm not sure what you mean there, could you tell me whereabouts I could find this firmware update :) cause I am willing to give it a go. Still cant resolve the problem, I might have to end up buying another wireless connector, is there any motherboard driver utilities that are directly linked to wifi management because I will try removing and reinstalling them