First NVIDIA 9-series video card tested

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the picture ccoke! Just a tad smaller than the 8800GT... I personally can't imagine the size of the 9800GTX/GX2's when they come out :blink: I mean, the 3870X2 is one huge mofo, but it's got dual chips on it. The 9800GX2 will be the same I'm sure, but what about the 9800GTX? If that's also gonna be this big, I think we're getting a little bit ridiculous, considering that it's constant die shrinks, but card size increases!

I'm not sure how reliable this review is. For example in the 3dmark test, I have a 3870 card and I get the same score as they have posted... the thing is my cpu is an AMD dual core (running at 3.0ghz), and they are using a quad core cpu which should be scoring much higher.

Lack of directx 10.1 and shader 4.1 support ruins the 9600gt. I don't understand what nvidia is thinking by not adding it. Its not like its going to kill them to add it. Maybe it doesn't matter to some people, but it does to me, and I'd bet I'm not the only one.

I'm not sure how reliable this review is. For example in the 3dmark test, I have a 3870 card and I get the same score as they have posted... the thing is my cpu is an AMD dual core (running at 3.0ghz), and they are using a quad core cpu which should be scoring much higher.

Lack of directx 10.1 and shader 4.1 support ruins the 9600gt. I don't understand what nvidia is thinking by not adding it. Its not like its going to kill them to add it. Maybe it doesn't matter to some people, but it does to me, and I'd bet I'm not the only one.

There are a number of things that affect 3DMark scores, so it's hard to say how your system compared to the review system should compare with regards to scores.

As for the lack of the shader 4.1 support, sure it's nice to have features there (you can't use them if they aren't there naturally). Whether it will make a big difference once we see it popping up in games I wouldn't want to speculate.

What games are using DX 10.1 and SM 4.1 right now? By the time they do have it workable something new will be out so it becomes a moot point. For what it does it is an impressive increase over the 8600 series. by my calculations I have seen a 77% increase in 3dmark 06 scores between an 8600GT and the 9600GT

You can't really draw that kind of comparison... every machine is different. What's relevant for the review is how the cards compared to each other on the same machine.