Dual screen setup , one screen connected to the gpu and one on the mot

I'd like to add another monitor on my setup , not for gaming but for casual web browsing and other minor tasks without that affecting the idle temps of my GPU , is it possible for me to connect the second monitor on the motherboard and use the integrated gpu of my i7 to run it?

If you've got a Sandy/Ivy chip, plus a motherboard with display outputs (I assume you do), then it's no problem.

I do the same thing on my system, otherwise the idle temperatures on my GTX570 end up being in the 60s versus 40s.

If you've got a Sandy/Ivy chip, plus a motherboard with display outputs (I assume you do), then it's no problem.

I do the same thing on my system, otherwise the idle temperatures on my GTX570 end up being in the 60s versus 40s.

Basically this , yeah my mobo has display outputs so i assumed i could just plug it in , awesome news mate , thx a lot :D

really I thought the i7s has the igpu stripped and only found in i3 / i5

Correct statement for most of them. But for for SB & IB I7s.

Edited by d6bmg

Yup, SB has the hd 2500 for i5 and hd3000 for the i7's, and I believe IB has the hd 4000.

Yup, SB has the hd 2500 for i5 and hd3000 for the i7's, and I believe IB has the hd 4000.

Yes, you are absolutely correct here. (Although the iGPU in 2500K is considered as HD3000 in some places)

Edited by d6bmg

I tried it last night on my setup.  i5-3570k, Z77 mobo, gtx 560.  It didn't work.  Only the screen connected to the 560 had a display and I couldn't find any setting to allow the other screen to display from the mobo.

I normally run SLI 560s (2nd screen to 2d card) and had pulled one out for a quick check and decided to try this.  I was surprised it didn't work.  I didn't bother with even looking at any bios settings, just the NvCP and windows display settings.  So I didn't work at it or anything, but it didn't work out of the box for me.