heating problem..cant solve it..Graphic card & Power supply

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000..3.0 Ghz..2MB L2 Cache

2GB DDR2

NVDIA GeForce 250GTS

80GB IDE HDD

Motherboard:GIGABYTE M61PME-S2P(rev 1.3)

Graphic Card:MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G OC

RAM:Kingston

HDD:Weastern Digital

PSU:edvan Model no. MPT-550

problem..:when using graphic card MSI N250GTS

when i play little heavy game like the sims 3 or heavy game like COD4..it will sudden turn off..i dunno wat is the problem..when i touched graphic card and power supply..it very hot..if i play warcraft 3 frozen throne:DOTA..it got no problem..but graphic card and power got little hot..i have update the lates driver for motherboard and graphic card..but it still happen..can someone help me..how to solve the problem..sorry my english bad.. :unsure:

(when my friend use that graphic card..it got no problem..that why i weird.. :blink: his motherboard is gigabyte too..but i dont know what its series..1GB DDR2 800..n AMD Athlon 64 2.7 ghz..)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no information available on Edvan power supplies which isn't good. I could be wrong but it looks like a very low quality generic unit that probably as very little available on the 12V rail. Have you got the specification for it?

I would fit a new power supply if I was you, a good quality 400W unit with a single 6 pin PCI-E is all you need. The GTS250 shouldn't get too hot so perhaps you need to increase the fan speed or improve your case cooling.

Cheers

Paul

no..i dont think so..my power supply is 550W and 24A on 12V+..my friend also use that graphic card..but he got no problem..his power supply more noober than me..it got no brand..

i use memory that not support my motherboard..is it will cause heating problem?

and how to increase the fan speed?

no..i dont think so..my power supply is 550W and 24A on 12V+..my friend also use that graphic card..but he got no problem..his power supply more noober than me..it got no brand..

i use memory that not support my motherboard..is it will cause heating problem?

and how to increase the fan speed?

I know 24A on the 12V rail sounds like a lot but it's only 288W and that's a pretty poor percentage of the 550W total, look at something like the Corsair VX550W thats got 41A!

The GTS250 will need about 160W, that's a full throttle, but that leaves only 120W for the rest of the system requiring the 12V rail and I'd wager the Edvan power supply doesn't give it's rated power once it's warmed up and it's specification is quoted at 25 deg C?

I still say a new power supply would be a wise investment.

The memory won't be the cause of your heat issues and installing something like Rivatuner will give you access to the graphics card fan speed control.

Cheers

Paul

but..my friend use power supply that is low than me..but he got no problem..that why i weird..

A Corsair VX450W (33A on the 12V rail) is lower than yours but it's possible it performs better than your Edvan 550W. ;)

Cheers

Paul

A Corsair VX450W (33A on the 12V rail) is lower than yours but it's possible it performs better than your Edvan 550W. ;)

Cheers

Paul

ow..thanks..

i had download rivatuner and turn my graphic card fan speed to 100%..but when i use 3dmark06 to test my graphic card performance..in 3-5 minutes..it suddenlly turn off..when i touched graphic card..it very hot..it also happen when i play heavy game..the power supply not very hot..it normal..

I don't think it's your graphic card overheating, they do get that warm under load but it's not dangerous. 50-60C is alot to touch, but the card can take around 120C or so... My bet is also powersupply!

Try monitoring your temps with GPU-Z or Furmark and check that it does not go over 90-100C, or turns of at exactly a certain temperature.

i cant check temperature..it always sudden turn off when it over heating..and when i open the computer back..it temperature turn normal again.. :unsure:

i dont agree that the power supply has the problem..my friend use power supply that no branded..is only 17A on 12v..it also has only small fan on the back beside the switch wire..while my power supply has large 120mm fan super noise killer..it also has thermal sensor to keep the temperature normal..on the box..it say this power supply is ready for nvidia,ati,intel quad core,intel duo core,amd phenom and otherwise..

i only know that mybe it because the processor because my friend only use amd one core 2.7Ghz..