When will my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch get android 4.0?

Guest Black gold saw.

Guest Black gold saw.

Samsung kept promising that we would get ics back in march 15th..

When is the offical ota update?

Samsung kept promising that we would get ics back in march 15th..

When is the offical ota update?

Blame the carriers, not the cell manufacturers. They go through and reskin/customize/mod the stock Google OS, add in tons of bloatware, then spend ages getting everything through development.

You can already get ICS on the Galaxy SII, but not OTA. Same process as most Android phones - you need to root it, flash a custom bootloader like ClockworkMod, then flash an ICS baseband(kind of like drivers for the antenna), then finally the ICS ROM - either a stock ICS one, or preferably a tweaked and modded OS which will give you faster performance, overclocked kernals, and better battery life then stock.

If you don't want to worry about flashing basbands, which is often more difficult then just installing a ROM through Clockwork, you can just look out for custom GB ROMs that work on your stock baseband. Many developers have ported over some of the nice ICS goodies like the keyboard, themes, icons, and widgets into GB ROMs so you can get the eye candy and some of the usability of ICS on your Gingerbread phone. Only downside is that you will have to flash back to stock ROM when the OTA releases if you want the official release instead of a modded one for whatever reason like if you need to return it. OTA software updates wont recognize a custom ROM and will just give the "No updates available" message.

Guest Black gold saw.

Dude I'm not good with phones.... I have no idea whats going on..

Dude I'm not good with phones.... I have no idea whats going on..

Which is why you may learn something if you spend some time reading up about the custom roms.

Otherwise you need to wait for whatever bloatware is eventually passed on to you. As already stated carriers can take their own sweet time about it too.

Which is why you may learn something if you spend some time reading up about the custom roms.

Otherwise you need to wait for whatever bloatware is eventually passed on to you. As already stated carriers can take their own sweet time about it too.

+1

I'd recommend reading up on rooting and custom roms for your phone, it's not all too difficult and it's pretty nice having total control of your phone. I got my first smart phone just a couple weeks ago and was able to root it and install cyanogen without too much trouble, but it does require patience.

I found the best source for information was Youtube, here's what I believe to be a good tutorial on rooting for your phone. If you're interested that is, I know some people would rather not mess with it. Other than that though, you probably won't get what you want until they release it, so either route you take, you're going to need some patience. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pWjmKCsoc

By the way, I like your BC2 name, it's my favorite anime. :D

You can brick phones but by the same token they can be repaired. You will find somewhere like xda has plenty of instructions on what to do and if you can follow the instructions to the letter chances are nothing will go wrong.

Most of the time a phone gets bricked because instructions weren't followed and/or someone tried to flash inncorrect roms. So long as you stick within your phones section and read through threads before doing anything you will be fine.

Turns out my phone has been screwed by Sony Ericsson finally got around to sorting out my sd card and have my music back on it and well there appears to be a huge issue with the official honeycomb release that it introducing artifacts and glitches, skips ect to music playback and stock or other music players make no difference.

Just proves that even official releases can really suck and be useless I didnt know of the issue for 3 months but it looks like I am going custom Rom again. When I had an unofficial honeycomb Rom I had no music issue or when I had previous versions of android official an otherwise the issue was not there only solution is a Rom :-/

Guest Black gold saw.

I plan to undervolt + remove bloat ware to improve performance.

can i remove touch wiz and just use Android default UI?

I plan to undervolt + remove bloat ware to improve performance.

can i remove touch wiz and just use Android default UI?

Have a look at the subsection of xda for your phone and I am fairly certain you could even use something like htc sense.

Again as to what you can do I know not fully as what has been kindly, freely and well developed by the good people of forums like few is different for every phone.

I need to check out whats available ics wise for me because I haven't checked in a while and this music issue needs to be fixed :-/