Mouse moves on its own

Fogel

So I don't surf the internet much from home, but I was on last night.  So i'm online trying to type something extremely long.  Actually I was writing a guide, so it needed a bunch of formatting.  Anyhow the mouse cursor was moving on its own.  Anywhere from just a little bit to it would go from the bottom right of the screen to the top left of the screen.  Since I was playing music I was wondering if it was the subwoofer so I would pick the mouse up off the table and it stopped moving.

Stopped the music and for the most part it stopped moving, but it was inaccurate.  Like I wouldn't want to get caught in a FPS game even if my competition was a bunch of grannies who never played a game before.  It was driving me nuts because I'm trying to write this guide and all of sudden the computer was also getting stupid slow.  Which tends to happen if I play long videos on it (its a C2D with 2GB of RAM... or is it 4GB :unsure:) as well as play music. So I don't think the two are connected in that regard but they could be so that is why I am mentioning it.

I'm going to try a different mouse tonight because I really hate this razer mouse even if it does look better than the G500 I will replace it with.  Question is, do you think its the mouse or a software problem?  I seen this behavior before on other machines and different mice ...not neccesarily mine but I've seen it quite a few times.  I really haven't worried about it before because they weren't my machines.  Now its on my machine and it drives me nuts.  Not to mention trying to highlight a word in your document and the cursor just sort of vibrates away. :vmad:

Sounds like the laser is glitching out.  I would try a different mousepad, some mice like dark rather than light colored pads, or the other way around.  Also, the laser might be dusty or have a piece of dog hair or something messing around with it.

Edit: Beat me to it, lol

Edited by rivalary

It's not the laptop (have the touchpad turned off on that anyway).

I'm usually pretty good at cleaning mice but I will check that since it does make sense. Will also get the G500 ready.

I would say it is your surface. A good quality mousepad would make the world of difference. With my old mouse just going from a standard mousepad to a goliathus control edn made a huge amount of difference. Much smoother mouse trails and far more control and a little more speed.

Have you tried taking the ball out and cleaning it?

:lol:  I agree with the new mousepad and cleaning ideas.  It could also be a Windows problem...wouldn't hurt to do a system restore to a couple weeks back just to be sure.

I have a somewhat similar problem. My mouse randomly double clicks. eg. If i click on an icon on my desktop to move it, 4 times out of 5 it will open it rather than selecting it.

Have you tried re-installing the driver for your mouse?

I will see if I can address the 5 posts or so here:

• It is a wired laser Razer Spectre that I got for free with the purchase of my keyboard, so no financial attachment to it
  • I tried two mouse pads:  Razer Vespula and a normal mousepad
  • I have not done any system restores or driver updates ...though may be worth a try

I have a somewhat similar problem. My mouse randomly double clicks. eg. If i click on an icon on my desktop to move it, 4 times out of 5 it will open it rather than selecting it.

Have you tried re-installing the driver for your mouse?

Speaking of which, another problem I am having with it is when I double click the guide I saved on my desktop it wouldn't open.  Sometimes it takes me spamming the button to get it to open.  But if I highlight and press the Enter button on the keyboard it opens up just fine every time.  I checked the settings and the double click setting appears ok.

I cleaned the area around the laser and the mousepad, just in case there was dust I couldn't see.  There still seems to be something not quite right about it.  Like it is moving, at least it feels like it, but I can't see it.

It was driving me nuts so I switched it with the G500 I use to travel around with my laptop and that is much better.  I probably should try this razer mouse with the laptop to see if it does the same thing with it, but if it is the mouse I'm not sure I want to subject my poor laptop to it.  Maybe I should bring it here to work ...than I will have an awesome reason to be unproductive. :lol: