Google Chrome

Phil

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fast and since it compartmentalizes all the tabs into separate processes it not only gets a speed boost from multiple cores but it's safer as well (since a single tab crashing does nothing to the others).

I like it. The only addon I ever used in FF was Download Statusbar and I can live without it.

It's fast and since it compartmentalizes all the tabs into separate processes it not only gets a speed boost from multiple cores but it's safer as well (since a single tab crashing does nothing to the others).

I like it. The only addon I ever used in FF was Download Statusbar and I can live without it.

Yes......I actually use quite a few add ons for Firefox....the only one I can't do without is foxmarks....this new browser is simply awesome.....I love Google......seems like they are one of the very few monster companies that make truly innovative ground breaking products for free......Google docs are awesome, but you already know this if you are a Gmail user.....:)

I dont see me ditching Opera in the long run, but I can honestly say that at first glance it's not bad at all. Factoring in that it's being released in BETA and ahead of schedule, you start to wonder how refined it could have been in the end. I know I looked like this :lol: when I forced Flash to close and got the frowning puzzle piece as a replacement :D

post-10771-1220424438.gif

I dont see me ditching Opera in the long run, but I can honestly say that at first glance it's not bad at all. Factoring in that it's being released in BETA and ahead of schedule, you start to wonder how refined it could have been in the end. I know I looked like this :lol: when I forced Flash to close and got the frowning puzzle piece as a replacement :D

post-10771-1220424438.gif

As a fellow opera user, I don't see this adding much to my current experience. Opera has quick launch (speed dial) and can search google from the address bar etc.

Been messing around with it and find it very fast, but what is good (if you are that way inclined?), is that it can leave no trace when you shut it down - no history, no cache so anonymous browsing. A lot of husbands are gonna use it I reckon....

Try out 'Open in ingognito window' it sits in active memory only, so when you shut your machine down, it's all gone!

I installed it at work...here is my list of Pros & Cons (both major and minor):

Pros

- Fast

- Separate Processes for each tab means more stability and speed

- Greying out of the "extraneous" stuff in a URL is an interesting touch.

- History is laid out nicely and displays the time each page is visited

- Typing in address bar automatically does intelligent searching thru your past history, as well as options to select google searches directly.

- "Most Visited" home page is nice (or at least should be after extensive use...not really useful at this point)

Cons

- Cannot have the status bar stay permanently. The pop-up nature of the status bar is nice, especially for those that would normally always hide it...but for me, I always turn it on, even in windows explorer.

- No drop-down for address bar (sometimes the drop-down acts a bookmark folder of sorts...Eg. I don't bookmark OCC, but because I visit frequently, it's always in my drop-down, so I just go to it that way.

- Tabs are above address bar, not below (matter of preference)

- Doesn't have my 20+ FF extensions!!!!!

So in conclusion, it's a nice browser...fast and probably fairly stable...but it lacks some key things I'm used to, and I can't live without my FF extensions.

EDIT: I forgot to add one thing....

Why is the Google Chrome icon a Pokemon ball????

Edited by ClayMeow

- No drop-down for address bar (sometimes the drop-down acts a bookmark folder of sorts...Eg. I don't bookmark OCC, but because I visit frequently, it's always in my drop-down, so I just go to it that way.

If you start typing the address it will look in your history and bring it up in the drop-down list. :)

I only have to type in "ove" and it pops up with all of the forum links I usually go to.

I like it alot. Atm i use Opera, and switch to IE/FF for pages that dont load properly or gmail (which doesnt load properly in opera) but i'll defo be replacing them with Chrome. FF and IE are just so clunky and difficult to use quickly.

::edit:: is it just me or does clicking the scroll button on the mouse not bring up a scrolling thingie? ooh.. the spell checking works better than FF (in that it actually works, without me having to find out what setting isnt right, little niggles like that put me off FF (and mac's ;)))

Edited by Comp Dude2

If you start typing the address it will look in your history and bring it up in the drop-down list. :)

I only have to type in "ove" and it pops up with all of the forum links I usually go to.

I already know that (see my Pros list). That involves typing, whereas the other method involves just the mouse, which I like.

Firefox has that same option for bookmarks, I set my browsers clear out my history and temp files after I exit the browser. So, idk if Firefox does the same thing for your history.

Glad it imported all my Firefox stuff. Miss my extensions though. Will test this browser later on some java and flash based sites, that cause Firefox to crash or slow down.

I noticed sometimes when I close tabs, the browser freezes. I have to minimize it through the taskbar and click it again for it to unfreeze.

EDIT: Further testing, it does not load pages any faster than Firefox. Some pages actually load slower than on Firefox. My college site is java based and it loads quite a bit slower on Chrome, but it hasn't crashed while using the site yet. Unlike Firefox were it would crash every once in a while. This won't be replacing Firefox for me.

Edited by Krazyxazn