Ltrains - Carbide 200R i5-2500K

ltrain

Let me know what you think ..... Wish I had went with a better CPU Cooler.  My intent was to water cool with a fixed loop like the Corsair... but ... I chickened out.   Maybe in the future!

Under load .....

LoadTemps_zps82aeaecd.jpg

Edited by ltrain

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really new and cautious with this stuff ... I want to get a feel of things before I even attempt to overclock.  I ran Prime 95 for minutes. I really have no clue about this program ... I just ran it in BLEND without adjusting any of the setting and waited for my CPU to heat up and the temperatures to stabilize. Like I said I have concerns with my Cooler ..it wasn't the one I wanted due to my case having size restrictions on the height of a air cooler.

I have some instances of concern with my build ... One Fallout 3 the only PC Game I have locks up after playing it for a while...and when I used Skype the other day my pc randomly restarted during a conversation... I little homework and google searching I determined both instances to be software related.  But I would like to test the stability of my new build at my current stock specs and at the same time get familiar with some of the software used in overclocking. 

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated ......

Your CPU temps are actually pretty solid so do not sweat it. For stability one of the best tests is Prime95, if you do not see errors after a couple of hours you know your CPU and RAM are in good shape.

For GPU testing I would use the Heaven benchmark and run it's demo mode for a few hours at max settings, again usually finds an issue if there is one.

As for your overclocking question from before, there are a lot of different opinions of overclocking. A lot of people will tweak the voltage and various settings until they can get the highest stable speed they can achieve. Personally I am a bit more conservative. Since you have a K edition chip I would push the multiplier up by one and run Prime for 2 hours. I personally never tweak voltages and also leave on energy saving features. Once you get an error go down by a half a multiplier and try again.

My experience with doing this mild overclocking is I can take a 2500K to 4.0 or 4.1Ghz. Of course this varies chip to chip so it might be less and it might be more. If you put some more effort into it with tweaking voltages you can push to 4.5 quite often anything after that is gravy.

The reason I use the method I use is because it puts the least stress on the CPU and gets a solid return. By not upping the voltage I do not get as much heat increase and by leaving on the power management features I actually do not draw that much more power than at stock. My own experience has been that the 2500K at stock has enough speed for gamers needs and that an overclock to 4.0 is gravy, not needed at all. Pushing past that has in my experience not been worth the effort. Again your mileage may vary.

Thanks Ed ....

Is there any specific way to set/run Prime 95 that you prefer, could you point me to a specific thread or article.   .... I searched and came to numerous methods that have led me to more confusion then anything else.  I just want to make sure my build is stable, its my first one and want to reassure myself that everything is capable, of what, I don't know.  Just me trying to take my learning experience a bit further.  First I am going to work on my CPU and RAM and then move onto my GPU.  I know my build is full of features many I have no idea on how to utilize them.

First of all that's a pretty solid rig you put together.

Running Prime 95 is as simple as running the blend test. I usually go to custom and set the amount of memory to test but blend works equally as well. The idea is to run it for about 24 hours. Others prefer Linpack, Lin-X or OCCT but I am a proponent of Prime 95. The long term aspect of the test means that if after everything heats up as high as it is going to go and the system is still stable then I am comfortable that the overclock and or system is stable at the chosen clock speed. 

I run F@H and need stable rigs that run overclocked. These systems run 24/7 under full load. Failures cause project delays when the unit I worked fails due to system instability. My wife and I both run F@H and have rock solid overclocked systems. Both were run for at least 24 hours with Prime 95 to validate stability before running the project.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Cokeman for the compliment ....

Well I ran Prime95 this morning .... started around 9am ran it for three hours... highest temp I got was 57c.  So I figured I could let it run a bit longer while I ran out and did some errands came back at 3pm to a computer that had restarted.... Any thoughts???? 

Edited by ltrain

I think it might be a little deeper then that .... Might be a PSU problem.  Probably gonna need some help from you all diaging this...

Your PSU is more than adequate for the components you have.

I would venture to say you need to look at voltage tweaking and or memory timings. If your board has a UEFI BIOS check and see if it has the ability to use the F12 key to take a screen shot of the BIOS and save it to a thumb drive. I have the Z77 version of the Extreme 4 and its really pretty solid.

Have to remember im realy green when it comes to this stuff....wasn't able to take screen shots per say ... took images with my digi.  I hope the info in the images is what you requested.  If not, please explain in detail and I would gladly get whatever you need. 

DSCN2075_zps22131624.jpg

DSCN2076_zps8b5aab7b.jpg

DSCN2077_zps4acc6c41.jpg