AMD Phenom II X4 975 & 840 Reviewed

Bosco

I'm just saying if one is buying any higher priced AMD option it's never a good idea. They always trail Intel by a good bit, so the only advantage is the money savings which the 975 would give less of. I hope Bulldozer changes this trend but I'm pretty sure the current trend will never change (as the graphics card market has been the same)

I agree with your first statement. Never buy the most expensive proc on the market, their is little gain over the mainstream chips (the 980X aside because it is awesome.)

I disagree with the second half. I think AMD might catch Intel with their pants down this time. Intel appears to be keeping the Nahalem architecture while AMD is using an all new one. AMd may actually be able to compete with Intel in clock for clock performance. If it can compete with the new i7's and can use triple channel memory or anything greater than dual channel it will be quite a battle and I look forward to it.

As far as AMD losing to Nvidia I don't think this is a fair statement. When the 5870 came out it was the new and it was the top card on the market. The GTX 480 took that spot but only because Nvidia designed that card for the sole purpose 5870 and they didn't care how much power it took to run it. The 480 was an unbelievable power hog and is not a "better card" just more powerful. The GTX 580 is quite good and because it is currently the most powerful single GPU card it can be the most expensive. I am sure if AMD had a single GPU card that could run the the 580 they would sell it for as much as the 580 is now and the 580 would get cheaper.

This competition leaves us with very well priced AMD cards that beat the pants off of most games and are plenty powerful for the average consumer.

What I am trying to say is AMD makes great components and don't count them out just yet. Keep in mind that the 5970 is a generation old and still puts the run on a GTX 580. The 6970 isn't quite up to the task of taking on the 580 but it is priced much lower.

/end rant

Edit: I just watched a video of an a system benching a GTX 480 and a 580 against each other with the power readout compared through the whole thing and the 580 actually draws more power than the 480 :/ I thought the 580 ran cooler than the 480 but I guess so much for progress as far as power consumption goes. The 580 still beats the 480 in graphics power by enough to justify it. Depending on the game the 6970 trades blows with the 570 which it is priced to compete with. I just saw one bench where the 6970 actually beat a 580 in Crysis at 2560x1600 by .4fps :P

With the 6950 having a 98% rate of flashing to a 6970 I don't think there is any better choice of card on the market than the 6950.

Edited by gabrieltessin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with your first statement. Never buy the most expensive proc on the market, their is little gain over the mainstream chips (the 980X aside because it is awesome.)

I disagree with the second half. I think AMD might catch Intel with their pants down this time. Intel appears to be keeping the Nahalem architecture while AMD is using an all new one. AMd may actually be able to compete with Intel in clock for clock performance. If it can compete with the new i7's and can use triple channel memory or anything greater than dual channel it will be quite a battle and I look forward to it.

As far as AMD losing to Nvidia I don't think this is a fair statement. When the 5870 came out it was the new and it was the top card on the market. The GTX 480 took that spot but only because Nvidia designed that card for the sole purpose 5870 and they didn't care how much power it took to run it. The 480 was an unbelievable power hog and is not a "better card" just more powerful. The GTX 580 is quite good and because it is currently the most powerful single GPU card it can be the most expensive. I am sure if AMD had a single GPU card that could run the the 580 they would sell it for as much as the 580 is now and the 580 would get cheaper.

This competition leaves us with very well priced AMD cards that beat the pants off of most games and are plenty powerful for the average consumer.

What I am trying to say is AMD makes great components and don't count them out just yet. Keep in mind that the 5970 is a generation old and still puts the run on a GTX 580. The 6970 isn't quite up to the task of taking on the 580 but it is priced much lower.

/end rant

Edit: I just watched a video of an a system benching a GTX 480 and a 580 against each other with the power readout compared through the whole thing and the 580 actually draws more power than the 480 :/ I thought the 580 ran cooler than the 480 but I guess so much for progress as far as power consumption goes. The 580 still beats the 480 in graphics power by enough to justify it. Depending on the game the 6970 trades blows with the 570 which it is priced to compete with. I just saw one bench where the 6970 actually beat a 580 in Crysis at 2560x1600 by .4fps :P

With the 6950 having a 98% rate of flashing to a 6970 I don't think there is any better choice of card on the market than the 6950.

No but I mean the 6970 came out, delayed too, and still not the top single gpu. Why can't AMD ever achieve the best SINGLE gpu card, the 5970 is still slightly the best card but with two gpus and as long as a football field. I can recommend dual gpu cards but not as top dogs since you'd be aiming for cutting edge performance with brand new titles (aka hopefully more stressful ones) in which case the scaling might not be up to par right away.

New architecture doesn't secure a victory for AMD, I REALLY hope they can compete or even dominate...I just have lost all home in the company being anything other than second place, or the budget builders brand :( .

If you want to talk about power hogs, my 4870x2 is one, and it was better than the 280GTX but at the cost of inefficiency (and I'm sure bad scaling for a couple of days/weeks when a new game came out). I only disliked the 480 because, being the top single core, it was overpriced (similarly how I disliked the 5970 for being top top card and having the price it did), but I still could acknowledge that, once again, Nvidia had the top single GPU on the market....again.

The 6970 trades blows with the 570 and is priced higher than it....whuuuut? 570 is shorter physically and also has better folding performance and Physx (which isn't a selling factor to me personally but still a "bonus" for those into that sort of thing).

I am happy that the 6900s have 2GB of memory though, that one of the only advantages I saw with them. I was bummed when Nvidia stuck with the same vram numbers as their respective cards of last generation...vram needs to keep increasing, because once two cards are put together, that quickly becomes the weakest link

Good points, the reason Nvidia beat ATI is because they had a very powerful GPU architecture that they reused for the 580. All they had to do is increase the clocks and stream processors and they had the new top card. ATI was trying to design an all new card but ran our of time I think.

I still like ATI/AMD, I think they are the best value in PC video cards.

Good points, the reason Nvidia beat ATI is because they had a very powerful GPU architecture that they reused for the 580. All they had to do is increase the clocks and stream processors and they had the new top card. ATI was trying to design an all new card but ran our of time I think.

I still like ATI/AMD, I think they are the best value in PC video cards.

Yeah I guess the pressure was onto them once the 580 and 570 came out but I just wanted them to win again.

I guess AMD will just have to master CF scaling and stick two dual core cards to win the war. I for one do not need to upgrade since their genesis has been so darn capable that I don't need to

they are best value, but their cpus arent look that way anymore.. and i might have to jump ship depending on bulldozer

Idk man, looks like their CEO is one step ahead of ya

they are best value, but their cpus arent look that way anymore.. and i might have to jump ship depending on bulldozer

Thats because most stuff doesnt use all six cores yet, a more powerful 4 core like Sandy Bridge will beat any 6 core in stuff that doesnt make use of all six core but when something does , the gap will be much closer.

AMD is meant to give good performance for the cost .

Intel and Nvidia will nearly always be the best because lets face it : $520 GTX580 vs $380 HD6970 whos going to win ? Obviously Nvidia because its $140 more

$1000 Intel 980x vs $270 1100t , whos going to win ? Obviously Intel because its $730 more