ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Review

bp9801

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend got the formula, real nice board. With the formula having 4 way gpus unlike last gen, it really only makes this one useful to those doing extreme cooling or needing a buttonne of ram

Just too pricey - and thats coming from a guy who bought two HD7970's on launch day prices ...

Doesnt even have 8+8pin for dedicated CPU power like my Extreme 9 , only 8+4pin :huh:

Just too pricey - and thats coming from a guy who bought two HD7970's on launch day prices ...

Doesnt even have 8+8pin for dedicated CPU power like my Extreme 9 , only 8+4pin :huh:

im sorry, but i just dont see how a cpu would need 300 watts, unless overclocked on ln2 or above (or its a bulldozer :P )

im sorry, but i just dont see how a cpu would need 300 watts, unless overclocked on ln2 or above (or its a bulldozer :P )

Thats not the point, 8+8pin = 150+150 = 300 watts and allows power draw up to 300 watts. The 8+4pin only is 150+75 which is only 225watts power draw. According to http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ and using a 3930K at 5GHz with 1.5 (actually would need 1.525v up to 1.55v for 24/7 stability) it will use 244 watts which exceeds the connectors on the RIVE which means decreased stability. Using 1.55V for 5GHz results in a power draw of around 260 watts which means that the RIVE will now have even less stability. The Extreme 9 is simply better than the RIVE with regard to available CPU power.

You're assuming they only pull what is rated from the CPU power plugs. I'd be shocked if they actually limited it at all. I know my ASRock board certainly didn't - because I saw CPU power well over 300 watts at full tilt 4.6 GHz...and it only had a single 8 pin connection.

Don't try to draw a parallel between the CPU power plugs and the ability of the board to deliver power to the CPU socket. :cheers:

Now, back on topic, this board looks SWEET...but I just can't justify that kind of cash for a motherboard. :lol:

You're assuming they only pull what is rated from the CPU power plugs. I'd be shocked if they actually limited it at all. I know my ASRock board certainly didn't - because I saw CPU power well over 300 watts at full tilt 4.6 GHz...and it only had a single 8 pin connection.

Don't try to draw a parallel between the CPU power plugs and the ability of the board to deliver power to the CPU socket. :cheers:

Its still more stable an overclock using 8+8pin than 8+4pin , ASUS is really cutting cost there since even Gigabyte is using 8+8pin and ROG is supposed to be the best :rolleyes: