Republic Of Gamers Hd4850 Videocard Evaluation

Nemo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like an XFX BE, but no one is freaking out about it.

It's true but now I don't even like the BlackEdition since my lowly Maxcore OC (flashed to OCX, then flashed again for voltage increase) can out over clock it for 30 bucks cheaper. (and that was before the soft-volt mod) It wasn't much but I still could overclock the core and shader higher than the black edition, though I could not get the memory as high.

:lol: Fail.

This made me laugh :D.

But, geez I can’t believe we are arguing over the price difference of $10 or $20 dollars between similar cards, I hope you understand how petty that is. Perhaps out of all computer hardware, video cards have the most variation in price and performance. It is absolutely impossible to pinpoint exactly where a card falls in the range of all other offerings from other manufacturers, and even in the same manufacturer’s line. Price changes day by day, makers issue mail in rebates, retailers cut prices. This is incredibly trivial to argue over and the very fact an argument can be made is indication that the cards or combination of cards is in fact comparable.

Can you comment on the noise level of this card compared to a regular 4850? I'm curious about when the card goes from passive to active cooling and how much noise it makes in either state. If it runs at low power in 2D mode and turns on the 3D chipsets when 3D is required, it would be a very effective all around card, with the ability to turn on or off the overclocking a bonus.

If it is quieter and/or more efficient than an Asus Top 4850 with a Scythe Musashi then I'd upgrade in a flash!

Edited by Wrocky

At the same time this card is $40-50 more than other 4850's. Reverse logic ftw =P

bottomline is buy the best card within your budget.

Hmm, this goes for 180 not counting rebates and website discounts. We can safely say 160 will be the price, which means it's 20 bucks more.

$190 actually with a $20 MIR on Newegg. You can get the Sapphire for $145 /w free shipping and a $15 MIR. Considering that, the Asus is more like $45 more. But mail in rebates and free shipping comes and goes and thats starting to nitpick.

Edited by Raiderfan001