HD 7850 or GTX 660

*EDIT* - renamed and removed now irrelevant info.

Relative specs:

AMD Athlon 62 X2 4600+

4GB RAM @ 800Mhz

Asus M3N78 EMH HDMI

CM GX Bronze 650W

Edited by DanTheGamer11

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say if the price isn't that big of a difference, get the 7870. It would be better to bottleneck now but still be able to carry it over to your next system when you do decide to upgrade.

Also, I have a Athlon 64 X2 6000 that you can have if you want it. Not that it would make that much of a difference but it would give you 600 more mhz.

Hmm that's always a tough call. In Crysis and metro I am gonna guess your going to see some moderate to major slow downs. But I would say get the 7870 and upgrade later.

I'm not shure how,.. GeForce Boost and Hybrid SLI work. But your motherboard supports it,.. you could get a 3GB GTX660 for $219.99 on sale Newegg after MIR,

Something to think about. The HD7870 would also be a nice upgrade.

I would say if the price isn't that big of a difference, get the 7870. It would be better to bottleneck now but still be able to carry it over to your next system when you do decide to upgrade.

Also, I have a Athlon 64 X2 6000 that you can have if you want it. Not that it would make that much of a difference but it would give you 600 more mhz.

I'm not sure if the motherboard would support it, but thanks for the offer man! 

Hmm that's always a tough call. In Crysis and metro I am gonna guess your going to see some moderate to major slow downs. But I would say get the 7870 and upgrade later.

Yeah I know sadly, I just want to know how much :(

Depends on the budget, if you can afford the 7870 then I would go for it, the 7850 however is a solid card.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

I'm not shure how,.. GeForce Boost and Hybrid SLI work. But your motherboard supports it,.. you could get a 3GB GTX660 for $219.99 on sale Newegg after MIR,

Something to think about. The HD7870 would also be a nice upgrade.

I don't think it would be a great boost ;) But a 7870 would be preferable

Thanks for the responses so far guys! Would be ecstatic if somebody could give me exact figures at 1080P for Crysis 3!

It's hard to say exactly what your dual core rig will do in Crysis 3 running a HD7870 @ 1920X1080,.. I would guess at low settings min 20's max 40's range, useing less effects and lower textures will lower CPU usage,.. any dual core would be a bottleneck for C3, being it is a vary CPU-intensive game.

Edit :  your board supports the Athlon 64 X2 6000 chip.

Edited by Braegnok

Most things are GPU hungry, so see if you get the results you want and if not... upgrade the motherboard/CPU/memory to something like an i3 or phenom II on the cheap maybe.

I think your CPU will be a serious bottleneck while playing the game regardless any card you get (i.e. HD750 or HD7870).

Although most games are GPU hungry, but they are going to need the firepower in the CPU to work properly with the texture rendering.

And, amount of RAM doesn't really matter in this scenario.

Edited by d6bmg

Change of plans, got a Cooler Master GX 650W instead of the 530W Thermaltake I planned on getting. Do you guys think games like Stalker and the first Crysis would be bottlenecksed much since they're pretty old? Been wanting to experience em in all their glory for a long time now :)