New Phone Time

Well the Nexus 4 I bought during 2013 sale is starting to show its age. I mostly use it like a tablet rather than making calls. I have ATT with no free upgrades till Oct 2014 (brother use it to get an iPhone). Anyone use any of these phones? Staying away from Samsung, too much bloat. The Xperia one looks interesting with PS Remote Play and audio enhancements. Moto X visually looks nice, but seems overpriced.

CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801

GPU: Adreno 330

RAM: 2 GB (Oneplus One 3 GB)

Android L: Yes, in coming months

OnePlus One - $350 (Invite system + open preorder Nov 17th)

Screen:5.5" IPS / 1080p / 401 ppi

Storage: 64 GB

Camera: 13 MP

Battery: 3100 mAh

Extras: Gestures, Onscreen/Capacitive keys, Cyanogen 11S

Moto X (2014) Bamboo - $560 (after $50 off student discount + turbo charger)

Screen: 5.2" AMOLED / 1080p / 423 ppi

Storage: 32 GB 

Camera: 13 MP

Battery: 2300 mAh

Extras: Waterproof, Case customization, gestures, and turbo charging

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - $477 (after 10% student discount, $53)

Screen: 4.6" IPS / 720p / 319 ppi

Storage: 16 GB + MicroSD (up to 128 GB)

Camera: 20.7 MP

Battery Type : 2600 mAh

Extras: Waterproof, PS remote play, Hi-Res audio and other audio enhancements

Edited by AZNguyen

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd get the Sony because I can't support a phone without removable storage, I MAY give leeway on removable batteries but never on storage. Then again you've tolerated a Nexus so...Idk how important that'd be.

I for one am a Samsung guy because they still offer phones with removable batteries and storage, too much bloat you say? Root and remove I say. You can't add a microSD slot or a removable battery quite as easily ;)

I would off the suggestion of the Nokia 1520 or 925.

I've been using the 1520 for 5mo or so and absolutely love it.

App store is behind android/iOS, but there hasn't been an app that I've needed I couldn't find.

Edit: The HTC One (M8) is another windows device to consider.

Edited by StumpFuMaster

you should consider a used phone and switching to T-mobile if you don't talk too much

ATT is great but you pay out your @ss for it.

bought an iphone 6 and its on ATT but the old 4S I unlocked and now its on a 45$ pay per month t-mobile and has been great

i also tried virgin mobil/sprint and it was very bad connection and speeds

this is near downtown dallas

I don't know about most of the phones you listed though

but I prefer HTC and samsung

Note 4 32 GB + expandable is $826 off contract is a little too much. Stylus is nice, but the only time I really write stuff is at work and I have a notepad for that. Otherwise I just use Google Keep. I could probably swipe text as fast as handwriting.

Skeptical about Windows phones. I live off of Google apps, and don't want to rebuy stuff.

Good news Nexus 6 is coming to Motorola store and they offer financing. I got enough spare cash to buy it, but rather not take that big of a hit all at once. That's $700 for 64 GB, sadly my Motorola coupon is only for Moto X models :(

Sony is also selling Unlocked Xperia Z3 $612 after student discount. However I think it also has a glass backing like the Compact. I never scratched or cracked either side of my Nexus 4, but I kinda want a phone where I don't need a case.

Edited by AZNguyen

Note 4 32 GB + expandable is $826 off contract is a little too much. Stylus is nice, but the only time I really write stuff is at work and I have a notepad for that. Otherwise I just use Google Keep. I could probably swipe text as fast as handwriting.

Skeptical about Windows phones. I live off of Google apps, and don't want to rebuy stuff.

Good news Nexus 6 is coming to Motorola store and they offer financing. I got enough spare cash to buy it, but rather not take that big of a hit all at once. That's $700 for 64 GB, sadly my Motorola coupon is only for Moto X models :(

Sony is also selling Unlocked Xperia Z3 $612 after student discount. However I think it also has a glass backing like the Compact. I never scratched or cracked either side of my Nexus 4, but I kinda want a phone where I don't need a case.

Or you could get a phone that takes a microSD card and only pay the storage tax once and then have your ADDITIONAL 64-128GB for all your *worthwhile* future phones :rolleyes:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I've been living with a 16 gb Nexus 5 & 7. I don't play as many games on mobile as I used to. Music will probably be the only thing that takes up any real space.

I do need a decent camera, Note 4 has that going. I'll have to dig into some reviews.

I've been living with a 16 gb Nexus 5 & 7. I don't play as many games on mobile as I used to. Music will probably be the only thing that takes up any real space.

I do need a decent camera, Note 4 has that going. I'll have to dig into some reviews.

Oh I'm not saying you can't get by with "just" 16GB but just saying once you get a microSD card, even "just" a 32GB like the one I have than it can always be with you from phone to phone. This card has been with me through three generations so far and I haven't filled it (even with all my music, which I only have ~10GB of). But it's nice having that versatility, plus if the phone craps out, as long as you backup what you need to it, you can sleep easier and migrate effortlessly.