Want to start a new build - Go with X79 or Z75/77?

Just from personal experience, I didn't wait and I don't regret it. Doubt that I will. Guess we will see when retail boards start showing up in real user's hands. I imagine (like every other new chipset release) there are going to be bugs that need to be worked out in either board revisions or BIOS updates. So if you want a fairly well debugged platform right now I'd be leaning towards Z68. Improvements from Z75 or Z77 will be incremental at best for most normal day to day users.

As already pointed out earlier, there are a number of Z68 PCIe 3.0 boards available to purchase right now.

:withstupid: The Z68s are the sweet spot in my opinion too...though I'd even be happy with a P67 if I ran 1155 since alot of the Z68 features I wouldn't need. (but want my main multiplier tweakable!)

Following BEDMAS ( or PEMDAS, whatever ), I calculate that you'll be 0.5 years old :P

Ok now square that, multiply by 100, subtract one and... :popcorn:

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yes, there are Z68 boards that are PCIe 3.0 capable.... WITH an IB processor. So if he wants PCIe 3.0 he has to wait for IV anyway so forget about the Z68. The Z77 motherboards are being released in just a couple days (4/8 I believe?) so you can at least do some window shopping until 4/29 gets here.

I just sold my 2500K rig in order to have funds ready for my 3570K IB rig. I'm using my brothers PII X4 955 machine right now and I really miss my 2500K. :(

Right now I'm looking at this:

Intel i5 3570K ($220)

Asus/Gigabyte Z77 MB (<$200)

Asus/EVGA GTX680 ($500)

Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8GB ($55)

Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 SSD ($125)

Corsair AX750 ($170)

Corsair 650D ($160)

That's approximately $1400 and not taking into consideration any combo deals or MIR's I get with my Newegg purchases.

Wait for Z77/IB!

And the release date again please!

I forgot. :blush:

Intel Ivy Bridge Revised Launch-Schedule Revealed

Citing issues with the 22 nm manufacturing process, Intel postponed the release of its 22 nm "Ivy Bridge" Core processor family by as much as 10 weeks. There still seems to exist some confusion surrounding this launch, which SweClockers sought to clear with its latest article containing important dates related to the launch.

• 8 April, 2012: This was supposed to be the day "everything" (all CPU models slated for April, compatible motherboards) launched. Instead on this day, motherboard vendors will launch their products based on Intel Z77, Z75, H77, and B75 chipsets. System builders (you) will have to use existing "Sandy Bridge" processors, which are very much compatible with those motherboards. You will not be able to buy "Ivy Bridge" processors from anywhere on this day.

• 29 April, 2012: This is when Intel will launch quad-core Core i5, Core i7 "Ivy Bridge". On this day, the media will be able to post reviews of the new processor platform. It's not clear if you'll be able to buy these chips on this day, either. Perhaps you might,

• 3 June, 2012: This is when Intel will launch Q77 and Q75 chipset. The notebook platform based on "Ivy Bridge", dual-core "Ivy Bridge" processors, and the much talked about Ultrabook "Ivy Bridge" form-factor are due for "sometime in June".

Sb-e is workstation/productivity work not gaming.

it's chipset is based on workstation chipset X79 / C600, but it is designed for gaming and overclocking specifically, hence the E standing for "Enthusiast"

Ivy is just sb with a die shrink.

Actually it's not just a die shrink. it's a new technology or design if you may. Instead of the standard planar transistors like on sb they have tri-gate transistors, which intel like to call their 3D transistor.

Right now I'm looking at this:

Intel i5 3570K ($220)

Asus/Gigabyte Z77 MB (<$200)

Asus/EVGA GTX680 ($500)

Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 8GB ($55)

Mushkin Chronos 120GB SATA3 SSD ($125)

Corsair AX750 ($170)

Corsair 650D ($160)

That's approximately $1400 and not taking into consideration any combo deals or MIR's I get with my Newegg purchases.

Wait for Z77/IB!

Woow, that's essentially the same build that I'm making :D

So far the hardest part has been deciding on a case. I'm torn between the CM storm trooper and the NZXT switch 810.

it's chipset is based on workstation chipset X79 / C600, but it is designed for gaming and overclocking specifically, hence the E standing for "Enthusiast"

Actually it's not just a die shrink. it's a new technology or design if you may. Instead of the standard planar transistors like on sb they have tri-gate transistors, which intel like to call their 3D transistor.

And from what I can see, SB-E is still on the 32nm process so it's not ideal. Also, I've seen around the net (eg link) that IV-E wont be released until 2H 2013 and Haswell is slated to be out by then so....crossing my fingers that Haswell will work with current LGA1155 hardware if I choose to upgrade :D

And from what I can see, SB-E is still on the 32nm process so it's not ideal. Also, I've seen around the net (eg link) that IV-E wont be released until 2H 2013 and Haswell is slated to be out by then so....crossing my fingers that Haswell will work with current LGA1155 hardware if I choose to upgrade :D

You can Kiss your hopes goodbye :P

intel_shark_bay_haswell_leak_5-580x432.jpg

Edited by vandreadstriker

You are hoping against hope. Seriously!

Woow, that's essentially the same build that I'm making :D

So far the hardest part has been deciding on a case. I'm torn between the CM storm trooper and the NZXT switch 810.

Those are pretty sweet cases, I'm trying to stick with Corsair on as many components as I can. Torn between the 650D and my wallet (800D).

So far I'm looking at this Gigabyte motherboard. Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H I'm hoping to see the ASUS Maximus V Gene and Sabertooth in some benchmarks though. I'm trying to keep the motherboard price tag between $150-200.