Need new SSD for raid 0

Tjj226_Angel

As the title says, I am looking for two new SSDs for raid 0. I do a lot of photo and video editing now and every little bit of speed and performance helps with media editing. 

When ever I edit, I essentially throw a bunch of media on my drive (probably about 100+ gb a day), edit the content, and then batch process everything to a new folder. Once I am done I take everything off and throw it in a raid 1 nas that has a UPS and everything. 

So fortunately I don't need to be all that worried about safety with my hard drives.

Speed how ever is crucial. Right now I have some corsair force 3 90 GB ssds that I got ages ago that are kind of showing their age and are slowly starting to slow down.

I would like some drives that can handle fairly large loads of data that can be written to a read from on a constant basis, and I would like something that has a controller that handles smaller data sets well too. 

There are some obvious choices like the samsung 840 that would technically suit my needs very well, however the problem is that for the price I can easily get 4 crucial M500s and go for a 4 way raid 0 configuration and get even more speed. 

So I am trying to figure out what the best possible solution for maximum read and write speeds would be. 

I've been steadily recommending the M500s for several months now.  It's hard to beat the price per gigabyte and reliability has been top notch.  However, they do suffer from lower write speeds compared to their competition.  That of course can be partially overcome by a RAID0 array.

However, since RAPID is now working across almost the entire Samsung drive line up, it's hard not to at least consider the EVO or Pro series Samsung drives.  My main concern (based on your description above) is how durable the EVO line would be when writing the amount of data you described above on a daily basis.

Guess if I were buying for myself I'd be considering one of these four (in no particular order)

Samsung Pro

Samsung EVO

Crucial M500

Plextor M5P Pro

If cost is a huge factor, you might have to scratch the Samsung Pro and Plextor M5P off the list though.

I've been steadily recommending the M500s for several months now.  It's hard to beat the price per gigabyte and reliability has been top notch.  However, they do suffer from lower write speeds compared to their competition.  That of course can be partially overcome by a RAID0 array.

However, since RAPID is now working across almost the entire Samsung drive line up, it's hard not to at least consider the EVO or Pro series Samsung drives.  My main concern (based on your description above) is how durable the EVO line would be when writing the amount of data you described above on a daily basis.

Guess if I were buying for myself I'd be considering one of these four (in no particular order)

Samsung Pro

Samsung EVO

Crucial M500

Plextor M5P Pro

If cost is a huge factor, you might have to scratch the Samsung Pro and Plextor M5P off the list though.

Yeah I am looking at the crucial M500. Tiger direct has a sale on them for 75 bucks for a 120gb. So I am looking at buying 4 of them. 

Are you really waiting on your array that much now?

Anyway - I'd go for broke with 3-4 smaller SSDs in RAID 0. Just be aware that the smaller drives these days tend to have slower write speeds than their larger siblings...

EDIT: PM me if you want to get rid of the 90 GB SSDs. That's just bit bigger than I'm looking for (SSD cache setups) but they'll work. :P

I'd save your money and wait for a good sale. Best Buy recently had Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD for $90 each. Picked up two for raid 0.

yeah, I do not have that luxury unfortunately. Or at least not to that extent. My friend is making a movie, and his parents bought him the new mac pro..............that still has not arrive yet : P. On top of that, my friend doesn't even know how to use macs....so that ought to be interested. 

Anyways. He is desperate to use my PC now. So I need to figure out what I am gonna do asap. 

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

Are you really waiting on your array that much now?

Anyway - I'd go for broke with 3-4 smaller SSDs in RAID 0. Just be aware that the smaller drives these days tend to have slower write speeds than their larger siblings...

EDIT: PM me if you want to get rid of the 90 GB SSDs. That's just bit bigger than I'm looking for (SSD cache setups) but they'll work. :P

I got two of them lol. 

PMed. 

I'd save your money and wait for a good sale. Best Buy recently had Samsung EVO 250 GB SSD for $90 each. Picked up two for raid 0.

You're supposed to post up stuff like that in the "Deals" section  :)

Everyone missed out except for you.  They are back up to $153 now  :(

Well I just learned of a small problem. My motherboard only has 2 intel sata 3 ports. Wonderful. 

Anyways, let me ask you. I have the option between 4 120gb crucial M500s and a raid 0 card for a grand total of 340 bucks. 

OR I can have 2 256GB adata S900s that I can mod into SX900s for a total of 260 bucks.

I am thinking that with the adata drives that I would save enough money to buy 32GB of ram and then maybe use a ram disk for editing. IDK if using a ram disk would be the best way to speed things up or if a faster SSD would help.

I used to do a lot of video editing years ago, but this is the first time that I have ever really spent this much time on it, so I am kind of in uncharted territory here and I simply have no idea what is going to make the process go faster.  

If near 1 GB/s is enough either option will get close but the Adata option is safer and easier. I'm not sure I'd go the RAM drive route since Windows caches writes and reads in memory by default (to some extent to avoid data loss).

If near 1 GB/s is enough either option will get close but the Adata option is safer and easier. I'm not sure I'd go the RAM drive route since Windows caches writes and reads in memory by default (to some extent to avoid data loss).

cheap adata drives it is then. 

A ram disk helps for picture editing though. For some reason windows does not cache as much data as it should. I never go about 40 percent of ram usage even though I fill up a small 8GB ram disk without any trouble which is 50% right there.