Good By i5!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had read that somewhere that they just changed the bracket and not the socket when everyone was complaing and burning them up, then again I had read the new sockets from foxconn where also fixed. Of course I ran 1.9 volts through my foxconn Maximus 3 Formula with no problems so far.

I have not run 1.9 through mine but then again I never had it cold enough. but I have put 1.5 through t for extended periods of time and the board and both chips are a-ok. Maybe I Im just one of the lucky ones

Hmm... now that's interesting

Not really as the Foxconn socket meets Intels specifications.

I have not run 1.9 through mine but then again I never had it cold enough. but I have put 1.5 through t for extended periods of time and the board and both chips are a-ok. Maybe I Im just one of the lucky ones

Me too, so far.

Not really as the Foxconn socket meets Intels specifications.

Well Intel specs kinda suck in that department. I'm not flaming you out because you know what you're talking about, but Intel, yeah. Building these beast of the overclocker chip world and under spec requirements for connectivity. I looked at mine a little while ago, With a Lotes socketed EVGA I got contact issues too. Not all burned up like the OP but it could be if I pushed past 4.2ghz with a fair amount of volts. I'm SKEERED! Could that be the fate of my rig? Oh well, life goes on as the upgrades continue. :lol:

I could see the pads on my first cpu discoloring, of course it got killed on the EVGA board by eleet, went up one increment on voltage and bam. It has happened to few others the same way on the 657 FTW board. 2nd cpu I used it back in the M3F as quick as I could for benches for forum wars and sold the cpu and the EVGA motherboard. I am scared of this socket myself, going to stick with 1366 for now. I still have the M3F and was wanting to get an 860 for crunching but I am scared it wont last overclocked 24/7 so I havent...

I could see the pads on my first cpu discoloring, of course it got killed on the EVGA board by eleet, went up one increment on voltage and bam. It has happened to few others the same way on the 657 FTW board. 2nd cpu I used it back in the M3F as quick as I could for benches for forum wars and sold the cpu and the EVGA motherboard. I am scared of this socket myself, going to stick with 1366 for now. I still have the M3F and was wanting to get an 860 for crunching but I am scared it wont last overclocked 24/7 so I havent...

thats nuts.. it kinda makes me look down upon Intel, they made a generation of people that used their product for OC'ing and now coming back with results on certain CPU's that cant take what a P4 Did?

:(

I only have a mild oc on my 860 (3.6 ish) but it's been folding 24/7 for a while now and doing ok.. will probibly pull it apart in a week or 2 and take a look at the contacts though. Then push it a bit further if everything looks ok ;).

I only have a mild oc on my 860 (3.6 ish) but it's been folding 24/7 for a while now and doing ok.. will probibly pull it apart in a week or 2 and take a look at the contacts though. Then push it a bit further if everything looks ok ;).

well be careful, if it is the improper pin settings or uneven pins i would assum moving it from a safe position

would just increase the chances (since you cant see under once the cpu is placed) to accidently move it into a

unsafe position.

@OP

I thought the specs released from intel have 1.35 as the max for safe usage? if i was anywhere near that close i'd at least give it a shot at RMA, especially if i had met all adequate cooling requirements and

having some shotty socket, if it was big enough to change, there was enough issues they might not be able to

individually argue it.

think about it, worst case scenario is your in the exact same position as now.

they say no, oh well its already done