New MB - plus RAM? plus new Video Card?

Raife

Good eveing all.  So I am starting to get more bugs with my MB (random shut downs, not finding my boot drive, etc.) and am thinking of replacing it.  I don't do a lot of real hard core gaming, but run decent resolutions (1920 X 1200) with Skyrim.  The more taxing jobs on my system are HD video editing from my GoPro Hero3 Black and video transcribing with Handbrake.  Current system is at the bottom of post.  I am thinking of replacing my MB with:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

And while I am at it I am considering a couple other upgrades and wanted peoples thoughts: 

1) Is it worth it to up the RAM to 16GB.  I am thinking of:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

2) Is it worth it to upgrade my video card?  i am running two (2) Radeon 6870 in Crossfire now.  The GTX 770 and 780 just came out...  Would I notice a big improvement in my video editing and transcripting with a new video card?   

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Current System:

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

OS Drive - OCZ Vertex 3 Series - MAX IOPS Edition VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Data Drive

mostly idiots put 16GB of ram in their computer, most do not use it

8GB is more than you will ever use

I would buy a new GPU and sell off your two 6870s on ebay

replacing your motherboard is stupid unless you buy a new processor

dont waste your money and buy a new 30" monitor or go triple

that will give you some good feelings

personally, I use my leftover money to buy anime figures and now I collect PSP games

I also just built a freeNAS, if you encode lots of videos you may want a home server/NAS

Edited by potatochobit

if you editing video, the more ram the better. If you are playing games, well 4gb for the system and 4gb for the game should be enough. The op wants to edit videos than 16gb is a good start unless it's something serious. Usually I don't exceed 16-32gb for normal days use. The heavy stuff I'm doing right now eats 32gb like its nothing.

edit: with the extra ram you can make a ramdrive to be used as temp. even a SSD can't keep up with that. It's a bit overkill but if you are thinking that the extra ram is going to waste, you can always find a use for it.

edit 2: I guess I should say my 2bits about upgrading from an already good setup. No point if you are A) playing in 1080 and B) don't need the lastest and greatest. Yeah upgrading is awesome but 6870s in crossfire is fast enough to play mostly anything at 1080 just fine. I would only updgrade if your okay with speading money for a small gain, plus the idea of a single gpu. You also only will notice improvement for encoding if your currect program does not support OpenCL but it does CUDA  AND you are doing mp4. usually I just let the cpu crunch things unless I don't care about the video quailty.

mostly idiots put 16GB of ram in their computer, most do not use it

8GB is more than you will ever use

I would buy a new GPU and sell off your two 6870s on ebay

replacing your motherboard is stupid unless you buy a new processor

dont waste your money and buy a new 30" monitor or go triple

that will give you some good feelings

personally, I use my leftover money to buy anime figures and now I collect PSP games

I also just built a freeNAS, if you encode lots of videos you may want a home server/NAS

Everyone is stupid but you, eh? :rolleyes:

Waco if you want to argue with me that's fine but don't sit here and LIE to him that he needs 16GB

first of all Handbrake runs on CPU POWER, do you even anime, bro?

:yucky:

Edited by potatochobit

Waco if you want to argue with me that's fine but don't sit here and LIE to him that he needs 16GB

yes and what do CPUs and handbrake need? Ram.....

yes and what do CPUs and handbrake need? Ram.....
And while most people don't NEED more RAM it's never a bad thing to have a bigger disk cache.

Good morning everyone.  Let me provide some additional info on what I am doing.  Yes, I do a lot of Handbrake conversions, but I also use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit and render my GoPro and home video camera files.  Both sources are HD (typically 1080).  I also do some conversation with MCEBuddy on my HTPC files to strip the commercials and drop them on my iPad for when I travel.  Although I often use my Windows Home Server to do this.  Thanks everyone.