Return of AMD FX: My OC'd AMD FX 8150 with OC'd 6990 Review -

I am pretty sure the 3820 only oc's to 4.2 Ghz.. In which case an FX 8150 would stomp it while OC'd. You really need to hit 4.6 or higher Ghz 2600/2700k to beat a max OC'd 8150 in highly threaded apps.

:lol: Not even close. Overclocked SB/SB-E chips stomp all over any FX chip (even an 8150 at nearly 5 GHz can't keep up except in select few apps). Hell, my 8120 at 4.6 GHz was slower than my Phenom II at 3.5 GHz in many poorly threaded applications (which is damn near everything even today).

Edited by Waco

:lol: Not even close. Overclocked SB/SB-E chips stomp all over any FX chip (even an 8150 at nearly 5 GHz can't keep up except in select few apps). Hell, my 8120 at 4.6 GHz was slower than my Phenom II at 3.5 GHz in many poorly threaded applications (which is damn near everything even today).

Your telling me a 5 ghz fx 8150 "doesnt even come close" to a 4.2 ghz i7 3820 which is practically identical to a 2600k. it really depends in what. You could argue it either way but doesnt even come close implies that in any benchmark it doesnt even come close.. i can already think of examples where it would get dominated by over 30%

Your telling me a 5 ghz fx 8150 "doesnt even come close" to a 4.2 ghz i7 3820 which is practically identical to a 2600k. it really depends in what. You could argue it either way but doesnt even come close implies that in any benchmark it doesnt even come close.. i can already think of examples where it would get dominated by over 30%

What, compression and encryption? That's about the only place they're competent at all...

What, compression and encryption? That's about the only place they're competent at all...

I agree. There are increasingly fewer reasons why anyone would need more than a quad core CPU. Only in those few instances such as waco mentioned encryption and compression along with video editing, does the 8150 shine. Aside from that, SB, SB-E has it beat hands down. I know after saying this though, Computer Ed and Dr. Death will swoop in and cause trouble, and for that I apologize.

I agree. There are increasingly fewer reasons why anyone would need more than a quad core CPU. Only in those few instances such as waco mentioned encryption and compression along with video editing, does the 8150 shine. Aside from that, SB, SB-E has it beat hands down. I know after saying this though, Computer Ed and Dr. Death will swoop in and cause trouble, and for that I apologize.

yeah but its only a matter of time until 8 cores becomes the standard, just like 4 cores is now. AMD is just staying ahead of the game. Single core performance will become less and less a factor as time goes by. Give it a year and we will already notice most DX 11.1 games taking advantage of AMD's architecture.

WEI / cpu and gpu temps up! benchmarks continue tomorrow!

True...but Bulldozer chips are only 8 cores for integer operations. They share the 4 FPUs among 8 threads.

But the FPUs are dual threaded, i.e. can handle 2 128bit operations simultaneously but only one 256bit one...

But the FPUs are dual threaded, i.e. can handle 2 128bit operations simultaneously but only one 256bit one...

True, but that just means that as soon as software is rewritten to handle 256 bit FP instructions...the performance will suffer. :P

My power draw at 4.8 GHz with my i7 fully loaded is lower than the IDLE power draw of my old 8120 at 4.5 GHz. :lol: I saw a nearly 200 watt difference at the wall when both were loaded. That adds up pretty quickly especially considering the performance differences.

Oh AMD.. :lol:

I am a little confused on this "benchmarking" or testing. The only way to truely test the FX against any CPU is by using the exact same hardware as if you have each chip and mothetrboard and run the same frequencues(core for core) the same memory at the same frequencies and timings, the same PSU, the same hard drive. It seems your taking someone elses results and combining them with yours? Help me out on this one.

I ran benchmarks on the FX-8150 and compared it to the 2500K and 2500K with everything the same except motherboard and CPU. The 2600K owned the FX-8150 in just about every category and beat the 2500K in some. All your graphs are confusing. Make a spread sheet so one can understand better like this.

benchiesa.jpg

benchiesb.jpg

I have a 2500K, 2600K, FX-8150 and a 3930X OTW. If yall want a perfect direct comparison, let me know. In a few weeks I can run benchies on all. make a list(not too long) what benchmarks to run.

Here are a few benchmarks I ran while playing a movie, downloading a move and compressing a file. This is where the FX chips shine:

stressbenchies.jpg

Edited by Drdeath