Dark Souls

WhenKittensATK

I'm at work so can't check most gaming sites. Does this mean the Steam version won't have GFWL? Also I read something about it being capped at 30 FPS and 720p...this true?

I really hope the 30FPS at 720p is not true. Ive been waiting for a pc version of this game since i played demon's souls back when it came out and if they pull some crap like that im not going to buy it and ill be pissed off so much.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleeeeeaaaaassssseeeee let the Steam version use Steamworks instead of GFWL!

I'm currently playing Batman: Arkham City through Steam, which still uses GFWL and I swear it has to be the reason I experience occasional stuttering, as I've not encountered that in any other game.

they said it was going to be a console port with no graphical options. only time will tell but that game looked good already, just didn't need to lag so much.

I was interested in this until I learned it's going to be a strict console port without any sort of optimization or changes. Apparently they are not interested in selling a single copy of this game to pc gamers. Lazy and greedy idiots.

Then, as someone said in pcgamer comments, they r gonna say it's piracy's fault for no sales, when in reality we just have a low tolerance for crap.

Edited by sack_patrol

I was interested in this until I learned it's going to be a strict console port without any sort of optimization or changes. Apparently they are not interested in selling a single copy of this game to pc gamers. Lazy and greedy idiots.

Then, as someone said in pcgamer comments, they r gonna say it's piracy's fault for no sales, when in reality we just have a low tolerance for crap.

Lazy, maybe. Greedy, no. They're porting it over because PC gamers wanted it.

I would have preferred it to be optimized and enhanced for the PC, but it looks good on the PS3, so if looks just as good on the PC, I'm fine with simple resolution changes being the only graphical option.

We don't even know a price yet. Maybe they'll surprise us with a nice $30-40 price since it is a mere port a year later.

PS. The Steam page is now available, though you cannot pre-purchase yet: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

Curiously, there is absolutely no mention of GFWL (as opposed to Arkham City, which clearly states it). Could just be an oversight, but hopefully it's the truth!

Lazy, maybe. Greedy, no. They're porting it over because PC gamers wanted it.

I don't even know what to say to that.. I mean.. what the hell? It seems like a decent game, so they spend the time to include extra content (as far as I can remember there was some exclusive pc stuff), but don't fix bugs or make optimizations...... That's insane.

Porting it because pc gamer wanted it, fine. But make the damn game decent and at least try and show some respect for your own work. As for price, I'm almost certain it will be full priced. So ya greedy and lazy idiots. It's like they're doing it on purpose or something.

It's not even the fact that they are doing it with this game since I'm not a fan of it or anything, just though it was a decent project. It's their attitude towards their own game and the people that will be potentially buying this. They said that they wanted to "get it out as soon as possible". It's like saying "yea lets just get it over with and forget about this bs. we got better things to do with our time than satisfy a bunch of pc gamers."

Here's the article for whoever is interested The way I feel about this is pretty much expressed in the comments there. Can't really add much to that except that this makes me think of CD Project RED who are on the other side of the spectrum with their superb customer support. Ported the PC game over to the Xbox 360, they had to remake a huge portion of the combat system and the overall controls just so they could fit the consoles better. In effect, the game was a hit. These guys.. i don't even know the name of their team, should take some notes on how PC gaming works, and how they can actually get someone to give a crap about their products, cuz this ain't it.

I think some of you might be overreacting a bit? I mean you have to remember, From Software isn't really familiar with anything but the PS3 for the most part. I mean sure they made a 360 version of this game but from what I've seen, people prefer it on the PS3. Honestly, I think I'd go the same route, I mean they're giving PC gamers this because PC gamers asked for it, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than most developers I think. You certainly didn't see IW itching to please when PC gamers asked for dedicated servers in MW2, after having a home run with PC gamers with MW1.

Seriously though, these guys are totally unfamiliar with PC gaming and gaming in the US in general really, it's a Japanese developer, they probably don't understand a lot of what we want. For example, in the 360 version of Dark Souls, if you start a private chat session, it will force your game to save and quit, the game is designed to do that. Now everyone knows that the 360 is the social gamer's choice system, they for them to make such an ironic feature, I imagine it would be by mistake and misunderstanding.

All I'm saying is, you have to try and be realistic with this. You can't let yourself get caught up in the hype so easily or you just ruin it for yourself. I think it's better that we learn that rather than hoping developers stop overhyping their games because that just isn't going to happen.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to playing it, and I think they're going to do a decent job with it. Also, something interesting I found, the Steam page requirements say "Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support" which is odd considering that doesn't seem to be allowed in either of the console versions. Maybe they do listen to people but hear them a little too late? I'm guessing it's a result of 360 players complaining.

They are also working on that new steel battallion game and probably anything else they haven't announced yet.

Trying to compare these guys to The Witcher guys is pretty funny. From Software even on their best games doesn't even come close.

Edited by AZNguyen

I think some of you might be overreacting a bit? I mean you have to remember, From Software isn't really familiar with anything but the PS3 for the most part. I mean sure they made a 360 version of this game but from what I've seen, people prefer it on the PS3. Honestly, I think I'd go the same route, I mean they're giving PC gamers this because PC gamers asked for it, which is a hell of a lot more impressive than most developers I think. You certainly didn't see IW itching to please when PC gamers asked for dedicated servers in MW2, after having a home run with PC gamers with MW1.

Seriously though, these guys are totally unfamiliar with PC gaming and gaming in the US in general really, it's a Japanese developer, they probably don't understand a lot of what we want. For example, in the 360 version of Dark Souls, if you start a private chat session, it will force your game to save and quit, the game is designed to do that. Now everyone knows that the 360 is the social gamer's choice system, they for them to make such an ironic feature, I imagine it would be by mistake and misunderstanding.

All I'm saying is, you have to try and be realistic with this. You can't let yourself get caught up in the hype so easily or you just ruin it for yourself. I think it's better that we learn that rather than hoping developers stop overhyping their games because that just isn't going to happen.

Personally, I'm still looking forward to playing it, and I think they're going to do a decent job with it. Also, something interesting I found, the Steam page requirements say "Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support" which is odd considering that doesn't seem to be allowed in either of the console versions. Maybe they do listen to people but hear them a little too late? I'm guessing it's a result of 360 players complaining.

I completely agree.

As I think I stated earlier in the thread, I would prefer if they pushed back the release date and worked on optimizing/enhancing the PC version, but I'm not going to hold it against them for not doing so. Like you said, this is entirely new territory for them and I honestly don't think they knew what they were getting themselves into. They never intended to develop a PC game, but so many PC gamers requested it. It's a shame that a lot of people are (overre)acting like sack, bashing them for a straight-forward port when their intention was to please PC gamers.

If it's less than $50, then I will probably buy it right away, not just to play this game that a few of my console friends said I have to get, but because I want to support their endeavor and thank them for at least trying. Maybe it's because I'm getting my master's in digital game design and development that I can appreciate just how tough it is to develop for a platform they're completely unfamiliar with. I think that if sales are decent enough, it'll bode well for their future products, possibly forming a sub-team with experienced PC programmers. I'd consider it an investment in their future. It's similar to why I supported Grim Dawn's kickstarter and Path of Exile's beta - I liked what I saw and want to help them do more in the future.

If it's the full $50 price tag, then I'll have to think a bit harder on my decision. If it's fully playable with minimal bugs, then I may still buy it on day one. I've played a little of it on my friend's 360 and it looked very good, so I don't NEED graphical enhancements to enjoy it. FPS drops will be annoying, but hell, I experience stuttering in Arkham City and that hasn't stopped me from absolutely loving that game. But if the PC port isn't that great, I'll definitely wait for a Steam sale. Either way, I don't see me passing up on this game entirely. I have no intention on buying a console, so this will be the only way I get to play it...and I do want to play it.

Source

"From Software "having a tough time" porting Dark Souls to PC, frame rate issues remain "

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

Uchiyama went on to confirm that it hasn't fixed the frame rate problems that had hobbled certain parts of the game on consoles.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

"However, in exchange for that, we have prioritised adding new content for both original players and new players."

Happily, that new content appears to be very substantial. Uchiyama estimated that it should take a reasonably skilled player around 10 hours to get through the new areas. "

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they should stop being greedy and stupid and hire some dudes that know how 2 pc. But of course, they rather release a half-a$$ed console port than share a little bit of profit.

Too bad that there are way too many people who will spend their money on any game no matter how bad it or it's presentation might be so the developers won't even care. They know there will always be suckers. No reason to try too hard. People need to learn to vote with their dollars.