What should never be bought used?

Prunes

What should never be bought used?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What PC component do you believe should be bought new anytime? And maybe post why.

• CPU
    • MOBO
    • GPU
    • HDD/SSD
    • Case
    • CPU Cooler
    • PSU
    • Watercooling
    • Fans

I voted case mainly because I don't feel many people could truly keep a case in like new condition or keep all the extras/accessories that come with it.

I myself have thrown out 3 different high-end chassis over the years because I didn't feel I could sell them after I'd used them.

They get dusty, people tinker with it/customise it for their builds, there are so many extras that come with cases you could never be sure you're getting everything you need from a second hand one.

Saying that though, people who just want to mod a case would probably buy a used one, where as most people probably wouldn't buy a second hand water cooling kit (that wasn't a self-contained mass produced one*)

i always find HDD's and psu's to be a risky factor, you dont know the exact age and with hdd's, if a little bump is happened in the traveling process (if by parcel) you can throw out that hdd.

but for the most parts, i buy my stuff second handed, and it never have let me down so far.

Edited by WarWeeny

I would and have bought just about all componenets on that list and have never had an issue. I just don't go out on ebay and but it. I usually buy it from here where I know I am not going to get screwed and am able to easily conatact the seller should there be any issues with what I bought. Strange thing is that while I will buy used stuff I very rarely sell anything and usually opt to give away older hardware when I know I am not going to need it.

Same, I buy a lot of stuff used, just about never have issues (unless the seller isn't trustworthy). I make sure there's some form of transferable warranty (which is why I love ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, and now EVGA).

I would buy all of those used. The only one I might stay away from is fans simply because I like the swiftech helix fans and I can get them for 8 bucks a pop with free shipping soooooo I don't really need to worry about saving a few bucks there. Noctua fans maybe, but not a basic PC fan. 

Everything else has to be a case by case purchase. For instance, PSUs would be a risky bet. If it were a corsair or seasonic PSU, I would have no issues. But if it were a super dirt cheap thermaltake......ehhhhh I would probably just by a new one since newegg has PSU sales all the time. 

The only other thing that I might not buy would be a water cooling pump. I might buy it used if I knew that the person took good care of it, but one off of ebay.....probably not.