Help: LGA 1366 and Samsung Low Voltage RAM

Rylen

I'm new to overclocking. I have an i7 930, Asus PX58D-E and 24 GB of that low voltage Samsung DDR3 1600.

I already tried copying the settings from the huge Asus PX58 Motherboard thread, but I got a blue screen shortly.

Are there any extra changes/precautions I need to make because of the low volt RAM besides setting the Voltage to between 1.35-1.45?

I'm shooting for a moddest OC, around 3.6 Ghz for CPU and around 1866 MHz for the RAM.

I currently have a really simple OC going by only changing the multiplier to i think 20 and the BCLK to I think 180. This got me the desired CPU speed but the RAM only shows its running at 1138 MHz in CPU-z instead of the 1500+ MHz I thought I set it to in the BIOS.

Anyway I'm sure simply changing the multiplier and bCLK is not how I should OC, so if I can get some help that would be greatly appreciated.

Also I read something about XMP settings to get my desired RAM speeds? Any insight into that.

Once I get into BIOS I'm clueless without step by step instructions on what to do

Here are pics I took of the current disappointing RAM speeds, sorry I didn't screen cap instead, I was running out the door when I took the pics

rYIMr.jpg

fEoho.jpg

You need to get the system up to 3.60 or 3.80 and then try your ram. Leave the ram at the 9-9-9-24 1t and set the ram clock to 1333.

Lets start overclocking then. Go get core temp and prime 95 and with the system at stock run prime95 on blend for an hour or so. I know its a push up but its necessary to verify stability before you start overclocking. After that its time to oc.

Set the cpu core to 1.220 - 1.250 or close to that.

Set the qpi / vtt to 1.20v

Set your ram voltage to 1.50

set your uncore frequency to the second lowest setting.

turn off c states and Intel speed step.

Set your cpu multi to 21

Leave everything else on auto.

After that is done raise the base clock 10 points at a time. Run a stability test for 30 minutes. Monitor temperatures and if yu bsod tell me the code.

by the way. do not let temps on the processor go over 85c. Its best to keep it below 80 but if 5 c is all that stands between you and 4ghz then go for it.

Thanks, hopefully my kids give me time tonight lol

Ok Prime95 has gone on for over an hour, still stable. Did I enter everything correctly?

KWPAb.jpg

cCVOP.jpg

Those settings netted me this:

juHfJ.jpg

wc0AN.jpg

I have not touched the RAM settings and timings do I change that? I want the RAM faster! Looking for around 1866-2000 MHz. What do I change?

Z2NmP.jpg

7TsFr.jpg

Again this is only my2nd time overclocking so the more detail I get on what to change the better.

i would shoot a little higher then that on the processor. It will help and you have not exceeded Intel specs limit yet. The core limit is 1.25 and qpi is safe at 1.35 @ good temps. Plus you will benefit more from a greater clock speed then faster ram.

Start here if you want to move up some.

Turn off cpu and pci spread spectrum.

Move the bclk up 10 and stability test it.

Move ioh voltage to 1.25 or so.

Stability test and keep an eye on temps.

At 3.70-3.80 turn load line calibration on.

If you get over 85c your done overclocking the chip.

But if.you are in fact done overclocking the chip then start below.

The reason your at 900Hz ram... Setting is on auto. Go into drama timing and set the latencies.They are the first four from The top. Use 9-9-9-24. Go down to the command rate and put it as 1n or 1t (its also called timing mode) then go to dram frequency next to uncore clock and set the frequency to around 1600 then stability test. If it passes for over an hour then move up a notice and go again. Let me know when you run into a bsod or no.boot and ill help you from there.

i would shoot a little higher then that on the processor. It will help and you have not exceeded Intel specs limit yet. The core limit is 1.25 and qpi is safe at 1.35 @ good temps. Plus you will benefit more from a greater clock speed then faster ram.

Start here if you want to move up some.

Turn off cpu and pci spread spectrum.

Move the bclk up 10 and stability test it.

Move ioh voltage to 1.25 or so.

Stability test and keep an eye on temps.

At 3.70-3.80 turn load line calibration on.

If you get over 85c your done overclocking the chip.

But if.you are in fact done overclocking the chip then start below.

The reason your at 900Hz ram... Setting is on auto. Go into drama timing and set the latencies.They are the first four from The top. Use 9-9-9-24. Go down to the command rate and put it as 1n or 1t (its also called timing mode) then go to dram frequency next to uncore clock and set the frequency to around 1600 then stability test. If it passes for over an hour then move up a notice and go again. Let me know when you run into a bsod or no.boot and ill help you from there.

I was just typing something out about overclocking the ram but said na boinker's got this under control,  plus throwing to many ideas of how to overclock at someone will only confuse them.