Guides Wanted At OCC

It's best if wikis are editable by anyone, but have edits have to go through approval. I've never dealt with a Wiki myself from an administrator/creator standpoint, but I'm pretty sure you can set a group of users to be admins/mods that can handle stuff like that. I'm also pretty sure emailing can be set up for notifications, so it's not like the admins/mods have to constantly watch it, they'd get notices when something changes and needs approval. Not sure if current mods would want that responsibility, but I'm sure we can find a member or two that would volunteer just like any other position. Or just give that to every staff member and whoever has time can review pending changes as they come across.

Either way, I don't think actually maintaining a wiki is that difficult, it's just getting off the ground and running that seems to be the barrier right now.

I ran a wiki for a while over at LCAG. And the way i found it ran best was to have it member only edits, and have mod approval before edits went live. Now the way i would set up one of this size would be to have an administrator for each section (sections sorta like we have in the forums for knowledge on a variety of topics) and have someone set up to 'police' a section each, they would review each addition/revision in their section before it went live.

And the variety allowed by a wiki mean that we would have a list of pages that need written(atleast the way the software i used worked) because if i am writing an article on say overclocking the Gtx580 and i refer to my 12amp rail(or whatever it pulls in the 4 pin) and i think that could use defining i link it and if the link does not exist, it is created and listed as an empty page. Then paul or whoever knows about psu's would see that that page needs writing and could write it.

It's best if wikis are editable by anyone, but have edits have to go through approval. I've never dealt with a Wiki myself from an administrator/creator standpoint, but I'm pretty sure you can set a group of users to be admins/mods that can handle stuff like that. I'm also pretty sure emailing can be set up for notifications, so it's not like the admins/mods have to constantly watch it, they'd get notices when something changes and needs approval. Not sure if current mods would want that responsibility, but I'm sure we can find a member or two that would volunteer just like any other position. Or just give that to every staff member and whoever has time can review pending changes as they come across.

Either way, I don't think actually maintaining a wiki is that difficult, it's just getting off the ground and running that seems to be the barrier right now.

Hey Andrew

I did some checking we did have Wiki but the staff never started to use it. If you want it back I will talk to Jamie and have him bring it to life if you guys are interested in that as well. I still want Guides but the Wiki will be good to have as well.

I would think that links take you away from the OCC website for PC Advice/Wiki would be counter productive in regards to revenue generation. As long as the pages have that Navy Blue color you are supporting OCC, and the needs of people who are seeking much needed advice. You cant carry over your advertiser support to a Wiki page can you. I myself prefer what Bosco is thinking, guides with facts, and a minimum of tangents.

I would think that links take you away from the OCC website for PC Advice/Wiki would be counter productive in regards to revenue generation. As long as the pages have that Navy Blue color you are supporting OCC, and the needs of people who are seeking much needed advice. You cant carry over your advertiser support to a Wiki page can you. I myself prefer what Bosco is thinking, guides with facts, and a minimum of tangents.

He is meaning a wiki on our site, not wikipedia. A wiki is a system for content management, you can integrate one into any site you like.

Hey Andrew

I did some checking we did have Wiki but the staff never started to use it. If you want it back I will talk to Jamie and have him bring it to life if you guys are interested in that as well. I still want Guides but the Wiki will be good to have as well.

Interesting. I know there was talk about it years ago, but never thought it actually came to be.

Can a Wiki entry be controlled by one person or is it I understand it editable by all?

It should be restricted to specific user classes to avoid the abuse by the newly joined members/bots.

Hey Andrew

You guys already have an existing wiji platform? The why don't give it a shot? If everything turns out to be good, then it can continue, but if it fails you always have the option to move all the guides back to current format.

I ran a wiki for a while over at LCAG. And the way i found it ran best was to have it member only edits, and have mod approval before edits went live. it.

I forgot lcag had a wiki . You guys should put speed in control of settin it up ! he already done it once if not before .