Intel Core i7-3930K vs Xeon E5-2630 For Long-duration Financial Calcul

You can also get the ASUS P9X79 WS for an i7 3930K which supports ECC memory (but ECC will only work if you use a XEON CPU, and not the 3930K):

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_WS/#specifications

If someone loaned gave me an ASUS P9X79 WS, I could test my theory out between using ECC memory and non-ECC memory. :P

You can also get the ASUS P9X79 WS for an i7 3930K which supports ECC memory (but ECC will only work if you use a XEON CPU, and not the 3930K):

http://www.asus.com/...#specifications

If someone loaned gave me an ASUS P9X79 WS, I could test my theory out between using ECC memory and non-ECC memory. :P

Seriously bro what is it with you and free stuff? lol2.gif

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X79_WS/#specifications

I got that board :) its a weird size and I would lend it to you if I didn't have to pull apart my whole system. how about you lend me a xeon and ecc memory:)

Edited by hornybluecow

Seriously bro what is it with you and free stuff? lol2.gif

I got that board :) its a weird size and I would lend it to you if I didn't have to pull apart my whole system. how about you lend me a xeon and ecc memory:)

:P

:P

well I have 50 currency pairs to analyse daily - 4 time frames each - each time frame shoudl be analyzed using a few different large excel files - around 300 mbs on average....do you think this process can be speeded up if I break each of the 4 time frames into different virtual machines and place the analysis pipeline into them?.....you think a 4 core E3 1275 V2 might be enough for it???

Honestly without you running a sample workload on aa known machine we can't tell you what you'll need to get an answer in X time.

I have tested the preliminary setup on my Dual Core Cnetrino season and needless to say it take a lot to complete_

I also thought - if I use the Intel Xeon E3-1275 V2 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - it is rougthly close to i7 3930 but has only 4 cores but still supports teh ECC memory....do you think it I set up 4 VMs each running a single 3.5GHz core - each running excel Matlab and automate by Network Automation - and leave the rest of the virtual cores to handle the load on the system - that can pull off?)

.I need 4 VMs to each analyse its own time frame of the 50 currency pairs....the analysis will be performed identically for each time frame of the 50 currency pairs....so to analyse it all in parallel I am thinking of breaking the whole pipeline into 4 parallel sub pipelines each working on its own time-frame....what do you think?

I can do this analysis in sequence or parallelize it through 4 vms.......I will think more about adding the VMS - with excel 2003 each running in one WinXP VM - this can be really fast to parallelize....I will combine the analytics from the separate VMS in the host machine.....the individual analysis could be done in excel 2003 but aggregating analysis and post-production woudl be done in excel 2010 which allows much more than the 2 gb of memory...software errors are likely but mos dependent on excel and matlab and vmware...I will test this setup and if it is suitable for daily work will stick with it - if no - will do all in sequence on the host machine...I am stuck with excel for now as taking it to an executable code would add a year to the project....do you think EXCEL 2010 on 4 cores will run faster than EXCEL 2003 on one core?