Overclocked my i7 3770K with underclocking memory

wallgrind

Hi All

Just started overclocking a few weeks now, and been busy with it all day long,
Now i found allot of information lately, I'm still wondering if it is okay if i under clock my memory to 800 MHz? on xmp 100:133 and add 102.4 to my cpu FSB to reach 4300.7 MHz stable
If i do it like this i have much better CPU temps and i can reach 4300.7 MHz easily with my h80i cooler and it run's very fine
Will this make it slower then on normal 1333 ? ( will this make any sense? )

Please look at the picture's below
I make all settings in the bios, not in turbo V evo like show on the picture's
Real temp is running and package core went to 90c for a few seconds, this is on custom stress testing with more then 90% ram used in the latest version of prime97 25.8

i7 3770K
Sabertooth z77
4 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1600C9    DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM

CPU Speed    
CPU Clock    4300.7 MHz  (original: 3500 MHz, overclock: 23%)
CPU Multiplier    42x
CPU FSB    102.4 MHz  (original: 100 MHz, overclock: 2%)
North Bridge Clock    4300.7 MHz
Memory Bus    409.6 MHz
DRAM:FSB Ratio    12:3

ff0571f713e90427e744e5027d537d17.png
0e179d9db4ee2da4f00f05c9e0743c73.png

First, welcome to OCC :)

Second:

Why underclock your memory when 4.0GHz to 4.3GHz doesn't have any impact?

Just leave the memory on 1333MHz and your CPU to what ever it is stable at with those speeds.

Because my cpu get hotter if i dont, is there any other solution i can use to have my cpu less hotter without underclocking my mem?

Not overclock your CPU? :teehee:

You could always lower voltages and the overclock.

Because my cpu get hotter if i dont, is there any other solution i can use to have my cpu less hotter without underclocking my mem?

Lower voltages wont let me run stable prime95

Lower voltages wont let me run stable prime95

Then lower the overclock, not every chip can overclock well.

4.0GHz or 4.3GHZ won't have any real time performance in gaming, nor regular use of the computer.

It is more swag, if anything.

What i do suspect though is that you need to re-seat the cpu cooler and re-apply the thermal paste, maybe you used too much and it is hindering you in temps.

Intel's TIM on Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Devil's Canyon CPU's are pretty poor, although Devil's Canyon TIM is slightly better. They used to be soldered, so the heat transfer to the IHS was much better. Your temperatures aren't going to get better without delidding and putting better TIM on there with higher voltages.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=198554

Intel's TIM on Ivy Bridge, Haswell, and Devil's Canyon CPU's are pretty poor, although Devil's Canyon TIM is slightly better. They used to be soldered, so the heat transfer to the IHS was much better. Your temperatures aren't going to get better without delidding and putting better TIM on there with higher voltages.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=198554

Thanks for your reply

Already did this before starting overclocking,

will check if did not put to much between cpu and cooler

Oh, very great im happy

i did the IHS removal before, i forget to properly remove the black glue, reopened my CPU, put again new MX-4 thermal on it,
Also placed my h80i a little bit higher on the cpu, also placed there a new solid drop of MX-4 thermal between cpu and cooler, and now my temps stay under 80c all the time for each core, wihtout underclocking my memory :) on 4.3 ghz

Oh, very great im happy

i did the IHS removal before, i forget to properly remove the black glue, reopened my CPU, put again new MX-4 thermal on it,

Also placed my h80i a little bit higher on the cpu, also placed there a new solid drop of MX-4 thermal between cpu and cooler, and now my temps stay under 80c all the time for each core, wihtout underclocking my memory :) on 4.3 ghz

Nice work! What cooler are you using, btw?