Need Help Building A Stable System For Maya/Max And After Effects@2560

I wouldn't worry about a Quadro card.

I don't use Max, but I run Maya64 and AE on the system in my rig and they run perfectly fine. Since I built my new rig, I actually can't recall a time that Maya has crashed despite it being one of the most finnicky programs ever, especially if you mess around a lot with the UTE on complicated models. I definitely recommend saving often no matter what your specs are.

In any case, as was stated, it's really more about RAM. My GPU is three generations old and I've experienced no bottleneck from it. I've even accidentally had multiple scenes open at a time (when I open a new one and forget to close the old one), and still never ran into issues.

intersting clay, Maya crashes all the time without a pro card for me. AE, not so much, It was rare if it did.  I guess your lucky?

edit: hey clay do you have a 2560rez monitor ?

I mean does your card work at 3.0 or 2.0?

If at 3.0 how did you get it to work cause x79 supports only 2.0 natively.

X79 is native PCIE 3.0, the Quadro FX 4800 is only 2.0 and I think execpt for the new K series they are all 1.1 or 2.0. In anycase it would matter the lest compared to everything else.

I wouldn't worry about a Quadro card.

I don't use Max, but I run Maya64 and AE on the system in my rig and they run perfectly fine. Since I built my new rig, I actually can't recall a time that Maya has crashed despite it being one of the most finnicky programs ever, especially if you mess around a lot with the UTE on complicated models. I definitely recommend saving often no matter what your specs are.

In any case, as was stated, it's really more about RAM. My GPU is three generations old and I've experienced no bottleneck from it. I've even accidentally had multiple scenes open at a time (when I open a new one and forget to close the old one), and still never ran into issues.

Never had any problems with my GTS250.Just don't think it will support 2560x1440 with its 512MB memory though.

I mean does your card work at 3.0 or 2.0?

If at 3.0 how did you get it to work cause x79 supports only 2.0 natively.

X79 is native PCIE 3.0, the Quadro FX 4800 is only 2.0 and I think execpt for the new K series they are all 1.1 or 2.0. In anycase it would matter the lest compared to everything else.

Thats the thing,X79 has support for PCIE 3.0 only if a processor supporting 3.0 was installed.But all SNB-E are 2.0 compliant but they are capable of 8GT/s transfer speed and 40 lanes for PCIE hence they can be forced to run at PCIE 3.0 according to Intel and Nvidia.Nvidia came up with a patch to force it.

Are you using any patch for 3.0 or just dropped a card in a voila 3.0

hmm that's new to me, I just never dug deep enough because I assumed all SB-E chips were 3.0 . I don't have a 3.0 card to test it either, but like I said you won't see the benefits of 3.0 for a few more years.

Edit: I looked it up all 2011 Chips  (X79) support PCIE 3.0 since it's Sandy Bridge -E. The 1155 are the ones that got the support later on.

intersting clay, Maya crashes all the time without a pro card for me. AE, not so much, It was rare if it did.  I guess your lucky?

edit: hey clay do you have a 2560rez monitor ?

Not for my home PC, no, but I have at school. But from what I've experienced, resolution doesn't actually matter much outside of rendering. And with rendering, you choose your resolution, so it doesn't really matter what your screen size is. I typically render in 720p just because 1080p doesn't matter for my needs so I'd rather it be quicker. And not sure there is really any reason to render higher than 1080p.

Like I said, Maya is finicky to begin with, so no matter what system you're using, you should be saving after practically every action you perform. I don't know if it's just because my home PC is more powerful, but from my experience with other systems, the ones that crash often use AMD/ATI cards. Maybe just a coincidence? :shrug:. In any case, I certainly feel RAM is much more important. I also have my Maya (and Adobe products) installed on my SSD.