AMD 6970 and 6950 Reviewed

Bosco

I'm by no means an expert, but I would think the cost of one wafer or another doesn't vary much, since I think it's mainly the template used during photolithography that changes. So my guess would be that the cost of a GPU is pretty much only related to the number fitting on a wafer.

I would like if you could show me that I'm wrong, though. I enjoy learning on such interesting subjects.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice cards, but I think AMD has accustomed us to lower prices than its green counterpart, but in this case are the same or maybe a little higher.

Good review as usual.-

Edited by Qu4k3r

It just hasnt been the case, amd being cheaper or a better value money wise, lately. Nvidia is extremely aggressive in pricing today and the old saying just dont hold water. the 580 is the worse price/performance card they got, minus the 580 and nvidia has the price/performance advantage pretty much everywhere else. At every segment nvidia is aggressively priced and I am not sure they have ever been so darn competitive just look the 570 is already priced better than the 6970. the 470 and 480 are extremely cheep. the gtx460 is less than 200% i even seen a 768mb version for 120$..the gtx450 is abouyt 100$. I cant believe AMD dropped the 6970 at the price they did. This is a sign AMD isnt holding to their roots where they are always the better value. These days Nvidia is really all over the value and its time to throw out the old sayings....

I seem to remember how AMD held the pricing incredibly high on the HD 5870 for quite some time when their was no competition in the high end single GPU category. I seem to recall plenty of threads about price gouging by AMD and how it was ok because they had limited supplies so they have not always been value conscious.

I seem to remember how AMD held the pricing incredibly high on the HD 5870 for quite some time when their was no competition in the high end single GPU category. I seem to recall plenty of threads about price gouging by AMD and how it was ok because they had limited supplies so they have not always been value conscious.

I do too, you were one of the few along with me complaining I remember :thumbsup:

Yeah the 580 isn't really a great deal, great card sure but not for the money spent. Then again the top card never is, the second runner up always has a vastly better bargain going for it

I do too, you were one of the few along with me complaining I remember :thumbsup:

Yeah the 580 isn't really a great deal, great card sure but not for the money spent. Then again the top card never is, the second runner up always has a vastly better bargain going for it

AMD's top card, the last 2 gen's has been dual gpu cards. My 5970 will be a beast for a long time, and IVI I know you agree with the fact that the dual AMD gpu cards can last a user quite awhile w/o needing an upgrade ;) Still understand what you both are saying though. Heck from a price/performance standpoint the 570 is killing the 580! And, I also rem when those 5870 prices were holding steady (of course when I bought 2), very steady, and why not. Like ccokeman sd, they had the market cornered, I would have done the same thing as a CEO! I am still very interested to see the 6990, will it be enough for me to upgrade, especially with Crysis 2 around the corner (4/9) unless they push it back........again :rolleyes: