i7 2600K on ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z OC Issue

Some people say that only 5-10% SB chips can be stable at 5.0GHz with normal cooling so maybe yours just isn't one of 'em.

In an overclocking guide published by Asus themselves, Asus gave a breakdown (based on extensive testing of a multitude of i7 2K samples) what percentages would hit what clock speeds. 5.0Ghz are cherry chips and highly unlikely (statistically or percentage wise) that you would get one of those. Since this is the OverclockersClub go for it. Just be aware that 4.8Ghz is around what the majority of people will get with very good cooling.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ero - I think most anyone that has played with an i5 or i7 2K cpu for a while will tell you that there are diminishing benefits after you get up and over 4.6Ghz once you consider heat, voltage and actual performance gains (i'm talking day to day and not benchmarks). IMO anywhere between 4.4Ghz and 4.8Ghz is a great "sweet" spot for these processors.

Alright I'll just be satisfied with my perfectly stable 4.8Ghz with almost not heat :D (when I say perfectly stable, it's with Prime95 in small FFTs for more than 12 hours.)

Edit : This is achieved with my Frio BTW

Edited by Erosannin

That sounds like a great plan. No way you would want to run 5.0Ghz at 1.5vcore 24/7

Especially if you're using manual voltage and not an offset voltage that allows your cpu voltage and frequency to downclock at idle.

That sounds like a great plan. No way you would want to run 5.0Ghz at 1.5vcore 24/7

Especially if you're using manual voltage and not an offset voltage that allows your cpu voltage and frequency to downclock at idle.

With good cooling and keeping the cores under 75 under load, You can push the voltage at 1.5v. You can even go a bit higher. It is the Tcase temps that degredate the processor and Tcase max is 68 degrees. The Tcase is the temp at the centernof the silicon and core temps are about 10 degrees higher than case temps.