Phenom II X4 980 Processor from AMD Tested

It was at 1.6V. I have been running phenoms on water up to 1.6V for years. CPUZ shows 1.64 for some reason. Temps never go over 55. Its all good. I did a dice run too at 5.5GHz+/

The Phenom CPU's are pretty hardy. I've run most of mine at 1.45v or higher (under water), and they've still been running strong. I'm just too scared to get them at 1.6v, though 1.5v for benching doesn't scare me at all. :dunno:

Do you also water cool the motherboard or memory, or just the CPU?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phenom CPU's are pretty hardy. I've run most of mine at 1.45v or higher (under water), and they've still been running strong. I'm just too scared to get them at 1.6v, though 1.5v for benching doesn't scare me at all. :dunno:

Do you also water cool the motherboard or memory, or just the CPU?

I'm pretty sure AMD rates all of the Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs up to 1.55 volts. Someone classy lady-slap me if I'm wrong though...

I'm pretty sure AMD rates all of the Phenom IIs and Athlon IIs up to 1.55 volts. Someone classy lady-slap me if I'm wrong though...

Waco as long as you have good cooling, these babies run like a champ up to 1.6V. I push temps into high 50's under load but everyday running keeps em in the 40's. My 9850 I used for years.

The CPU temps aren't what I get worried about, more my northbridge and memory. I've yet to break 35C at load during Prime95 at 4.2GHz with my 1090T. Price and cooling is why I still <3 AMD.

FYI I got an email this morning from AMD. There was a mistake on the launch price. It's actually $185 not $195 when we launched the review. Sorry for any confusion.

FYI I got an email this morning from AMD. There was a mistake on the launch price. It's actually $185 not $195 when we launched the review. Sorry for any confusion.

They need to send another e-mail saying it's actually $160 and not $185... :evilgrin:

AMD's documentation says 1.55 volts for all Phenom IIs with good cooling:

Took me a while to find that but it's straight from AMD. :)

Awesome! I'm going to overclock some more when I get home. Thanks Waco!

AMD's documentation says 1.55 volts for all Phenom IIs with good cooling:

Took me a while to find that but it's straight from AMD. :)

INTEL says 17 930/950 is 1.375. I push my i7 to 1.42 but do run daily at 1.375. Same with AMD. They are always conservative but heh, this is an overclocking club no? Like mentioned. I have run Phenoms daily for years with great cooling. 52 max under prime95 with no reprocussions. I ran a 9850 probably 2 years, 965 1 year and my buddy still has it for a long time and it did not degrdate at all. When cooling is good, you can easily go over the max rated with no worries. This has been independently tested but manufacturers have to put a limit. Some do not read the good cooling fine print.