AMD 6970 and 6950 Reviewed

Bosco

who knows.. guess we'll have to wait till i get another 580, find a way to sli them and then find someone with 3 6970s to waste hahahah

So...matty, I don't think I will be holding my breath on any of this ;)

Also the 6990 is scheduled for a Jan 2011 release :P What will be interesting is the initial pricepoint the 6990 will fall in! What if the 6990 is just slightly more expensive than the current GTX 580 prices??? What a great time to be a gpu consumer ;) All these amazing cards battling with one another, prices have to be favorable for us the consumers!

Edited by SpeedwayNative

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yer... i dunno.. im about a weeks away from having another card.. but then finding a solution for sli other than going to another mobo (read.. a hack maybe??) is gonna take a lil longer somewhat... guess ill use the 580 for physx.... and folding ROFL

or i could just bite the bullet n go inte.. NO! NEVER! ill just get an sli board maybe.. i dunno :(

on another note though... the price of a 6970 vs gtx 580 here in australia is fail.. i wouldnt waste my time with a 6970 when for an extra $90 gets u a faster card... and buying 3 of them doesnt save u the amount to have it for the same price as 2 580s lol atleast not in this country..

they 6970 is $539 vs $629 for the gtx... hahah im glad i didnt wait to decide.. i wouldve been disappointed

Edited by mattyamdfanboi

yer... i dunno.. im about a weeks away from having another card.. but then finding a solution for sli other than going to another mobo (read.. a hack maybe??) is gonna take a lil longer somewhat... guess ill use the 580 for physx.... and folding ROFL

or i could just bite the bullet n go inte.. NO! NEVER! ill just get an sli board maybe.. i dunno :(

on another note though... the price of a 6970 vs gtx 580 here in australia is fail.. i wouldnt waste my time with a 6970 when for an extra $90 gets u a faster card... and buying 3 of them doesnt save u the amount to have it for the same price as 2 580s lol atleast not in this country..

they 6970 is $539 vs $629 for the gtx... hahah im glad i didnt wait to decide.. i wouldve been disappointed

Jeez, I feel for everyone outside of the US when it comes to these PC component prices! The 6970 here in the US is $370 vs the $530 GTX 580!

Jeez, I feel for everyone outside of the US when it comes to these PC component prices! The 6970 here in the US is $370 vs the $530 GTX 580!

Same here , our ASUS GTX580 costs about $860 . My tri-fire ASUS 5970 and MSI 5870 lightning setup if I convert the currency cost me $1620.40 :wacko:

cool ... but just like i did last gen, ill just wait for the cheaper, cooler, and better version, the one that supports whatever crappy API ms chooses to use in their next shoebox - hint is NOT going to be DirectX®11- :nono:

Same here , our ASUS GTX580 costs about $860 . My tri-fire ASUS 5970 and MSI 5870 lightning setup if I convert the currency cost me $1620.40 :wacko:

Damn Nyt, I had no idea :whoa: I paid less than $500 for my 5970, and that was like 6 months ago!

Prices in NZ are $749 for 6970 vs $849 for the GTX580. The 6970 should be $565 NZD with GST added and the GTX580 should be around $810 which is pretty close to current prices. Proces for other parts like CPUs etc are fairly competitive but GPUs always seem to be overpriced initially.

Will come down fairly quickly though I think.

I must say i'm impressed. after all the rumours that the 6900 series was going to severly under perform compared to nvidia i was surprised to see them hold their own. i thought i had made up my mind on a new gfx card but this definitely complicates things post xmas when i possibly have cash to spend on a new gfx card.

i just wish that the 6950s weren't ~$400 here. 5970s and 580s are ~$660, 6970s are going to be around ~$530

i must admit it is better than when the 480s were like $800 at launch. but with the aussie dollar almost at parity with the USD it is still kinda BS

anyway i gotta go to bed. got work in the morning. will finish reading the rest of the review tomorrow. great work ccokeman :thumbsup:

I am curious to know if a liquid cooling heatsink (when released) could be attached to these 6970 cards? Are those 4 dots outside the cayman gpu holes for this type of cooling solution? I could not make it out from the sapphire card photo. Perhaps I will wait and see if powercolor will release a liquid cooled version of the card.

Nice review (and lol to the 570 being pink)

I am pleasantly surprised to the 6900s performance, wish it was better but maybe drivers might help in that regard.

I would however probably go with the 570 since it is give or take the same performance as the 6970 but cheaper :thumbsup:

man you shoulda gotten two 8800GTs or something and practiced SLI'n them while you were waiting for the 580 so you could see if it works!

Am i buggin or is a 6970 375$ on newegg? because that is insane IMO

Insane good or insane bad??