Intel Core i7 4960X Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, CPUs are powerful and expensive, even more powerful then what is needed and outrageously overpriced, I am just gonna stick to the high-end last gen CPU's and save some serious $$$. My i7-970 is showing no signs of giving up, with ample power in my most CPU heavy apps.

Edited by Black64

In my opinion, CPUs are powerful and expensive, even more powerful then what is needed and outrageously overpriced, I am just gonna stick to the high-end last gen CPU's and save some serious $$$. My i7-970 is showing no signs of giving up, with ample power in my most CPU heavy apps.

Completely agree. Though I've finally moved to an i7, I had been using my Q6600 for years and no real-world application/game gave me any issues.

Maybe PS4/XBO development will change that, but as of now, I've seen nothing to truly stress modern multi-core CPUs.

and yet, intel still havent releaed an affordable 6-core, i wonder if they ever will release one....

That's what AMD is for. :teehee:

Completely agree. Though I've finally moved to an i7, I had been using my Q6600 for years and no real-world application/game gave me any issues.

Maybe PS4/XBO development will change that, but as of now, I've seen nothing to truly stress modern multi-core CPUs.

My Q6600 was a beast! But I did notice a difference when going to the 970.

The extremes are exactly that, they are meant for people with money to blow that want to say they have the best of the best. Okay well let me also add that there is a legitimate use for these chips but it is purely in a work environment with high end rendering. For home users and gamers the only reason to buy these is to cover feeling of inadequacy or compensate for a mid life crisis.

Still this is a brute of a chip.

The extremes are exactly that, they are meant for people with money to blow that want to say they have the best of the best. Okay well let me also add that there is a legitimate use for these chips but it is purely in a work environment with high end rendering. For home users and gamers the only reason to buy these is to cover feeling of inadequacy or compensate for a mid life crisis.

Now wait a min are you talking about me? :rtfm:

Wow does the 3960X overclocks better than the 4960x.

Also, I just might cling on my old (L0L) 980. It still feels snappy enough for me at stock, with a moderate overclock (4.0GHz) it is a brute, moreso that I can
keep the HT on.

On the 1K price, I remember when AMD's FX series (FX-58, 60 series) were around that price. They probably did not sell much, they lost most of their value

when Intel released their 6000 series C2D and C2Q. I just hope AMD just get around to use smaller lithography and make profit again to be in competition
with Intel, not only trying to sell the same processor for 5 years in a row. FX-8350 and PII X4 980 have the same IPC, this is a bit ridiculous.

The 4XXX on socket 2011 series seems to heat pretty quick just like it's 1155 counterpart. Do you wonder if they used solder or thermal paste?