New Laptop Time!

So after years of use, it's finally time to retire my old Dell Latitude D810. It was a 2005 model with a 2GHz Intel Pentium M processor and 1.5GB of DDR2.

I'm upgrading to a Latitude XT2 convertible laptop-tablet (the screen swivels round 180 degrees and then flaps back onto the laptop to convert to its tablet form). I should be receiving it sometime this week. The touchscreen is capacitive too so there shouldn't be much trouble with the resistive screens that I hate. The laptop has a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo and 3GB of DDR3 so hopefully I'll see an improvement in performance too. It's got a 64GB SSD installed alongside that (small, I know, but I can't afford to replace it at the moment).

Hopefully it will help kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, as I can replace my old laptop and also have a decent tablet (I plan on installing Windows 8 on to it)

What are your thoughts? Experiences? Anyone had an XT2 before? Any SSD tips?

Thanks everyone :)

Euro

The laptop I believe ships with Windows 7, so I'll probably use that for a couple of days to check everything is in order (eBay so I'm going to check everything before modifying anything), but after that the plan is to go with Windows 8.1 (or technically Windows Embedded 8.1, since I can get that for free from Dreamspark :teehee:) but thanks for the tip :)

Yeah Windows 7 and newer will take care of you SSD TRIM needs automatically so no issues there.

Seems odd you would go with a 4yr old piece of hardware to replace the old system though?  Even so it's still a reasonable upgrade just no where NEAR as much as a modern variant.  Getting it for dirt cheap i presume? 

Yeah Windows 7 and newer will take care of you SSD TRIM needs automatically so no issues there.

Seems odd you would go with a 4yr old piece of hardware to replace the old system though? Even so it's still a reasonable upgrade just no where NEAR as much as a modern variant. Getting it for dirt cheap i presume?

Well my current laptop has served me extremely well, (where else would you find 2005 technology that will run Windows 7?) so I figure that something 4 years older can't be too bad? The fact I can sell my current laptop to recoup some of the cost means I'd only be spending about

pfft i made a 1.5 pentium m laptop run windows 7... just no sound xD

I assume that was a D610 or the like? There are Realtek AC97 audio drivers out there, provided you look hard enough ;)

Seems odd you would go with a 4yr old piece of hardware to replace the old system though? Even so it's still a reasonable upgrade just no where NEAR as much as a modern variant. Getting it for dirt cheap i presume?

Well my current laptop has served me extremely well, (where else would you find 2005 technology that will run Windows 7?) so I figure that something 4 years older can't be too bad? The fact I can sell my current laptop to recoup some of the cost means I'd only be spending about

Edited by cchalogamer

• 1 month later...

8 yr old laptop.  Mine is only half that age, maybe I can get at-least another 2-3 yrs out of it ! :)

With laptop your limited to upgrading, no surprise people keep them for years.

Edited by WhiteBear

I had the same Dell Latitude D810 but mine was a Core Duo 2 1.8ghz, 4gb of ram, etc. anyways It crapped out on me one day the screen just started flickering after I restarted. I did a lot of research and decided on the new mobile haswell, but ended up with a ivy bridge because the price was $100 cheaper. 

In short I settled on a Asus ultrabook (S56C) from newegg and it was only $450 on sale. It was on sale because they stopped making it and dumping stock i'm guessing for the Haswells ones. It came with i3 3217u, 500gb hdd, 32gb ssd and 8gb of ram. I swapped out the ram for 16gb and couldn't happier. It's much faster and lighter than that D810 clunker I had for 5 years.

So anyways whatever laptop you get, your looking for a CPU with a U at the end because they are only 17watts which makes it last over 4 hours and run nice and cool.  I hope that helps on your hunt for a laptop.

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, I'm using a Dell Latitude D810 right now. It has a Pentium M 780 (2.2GHz), 2GB of DDR2 and ATi Mobility Radeon X600 graphics. They're really great laptops, especially the ones with the high resolution displays. I also have a Latitude D820, with a Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.6GHz), 2GB of DDR2 (planned upgrade to 4GB) and nVidia Quadro NVS 120M graphics.

Edited by pedrinobear