Upgrade Time

bilcliff

Hi all current pc is starting to give me more grief than its worth so its time for an upgrade
I'm planning on reusing my case (Antec 1200), kb + mouse, tv (monitor), optical drives + hdds, wireless NIC, + already have a win7 disc.

Ideally I'd like it to come under $1200.

CPU    Core i7 3770 $308
CPU Fan    cooler master 212 EVO $34
RAM    16GB G.skill Ripjaws X PC3-12800 (1600MHz) (2x8GB) $139
MOBO    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H $159
SSD    Samsung 840 120GB $102
GPU    Gigabyte GTX 660ti $319

PSU    Corsair TX-650M $119
2.5" to 3.5" adapter ~ $10
8 pin cable extention $7

Total $1197

I was contemplating getting the 8GB kit to save a few bucks but i figured the 16GB kit helps "future proof" given the next gen of consoles are expected to have 8GB of ram. Although it might be overkill given this is a computer for "work purposes" ;)

any suggestions / ways to improve / save $?

Thanks guys & gals

Hey man I have some more stuff to sell if you're interested.

240GB Patriot Pyro SSD

Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3

Also not going with the unlocked CPU?

Oh and I have a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter if you want that too.

Unless you have a compelling reason to get a multiplier locked cpu WITH hyper threading (i.e. the vanilla 3770 you are contemplating) - you could get an 3570K instead and for less money.  You lose hyper threading but gain the multiplier unlock.

Alternatively you might find a sweet deal on an i7 2500K or i7 2600K.  I'd prefer either of those over a 3770 non-K version.  Nothing wrong with the 3770 as long as you don't plan on overclocking much.  Otherwise get a multiplier unlocked cpu and give up hyper threading.

Changes I'd make!

Mobo:

AsRock Z77 Extreme4- Cheaper and just as good!

Video:

Gigabyte 7950- cheaper better

Memory:

Low profile for the win!

Corsair 4x4GB (if you don't expect to want more then 16GB ever) Save $10

Corsair 2x8GB Save space!

PSU:

Could find you something quality and cheaper, unless you're stuck on modular

SSD:

WIth the money save, maybe you could bump up to 250GB

Samsung 840 250GB

I'm with the others, I'd rather have a 2600K or 2500K/3570K instead of a locked 3770. But ultimately that's up to you!

god damn it i accidentally hit back on my mouse when i had a whole post typed out

i do quite a bit of video encoding be it from dvd / bluray to mp4 and vice-versa so i figured the HT would help cut the time of that significantly. The fact 3770 it is locked does not bother me as my Q6600 barely gets OC'd as it is. Yeah, Yeah I know, blasphemy on a site with Overclockers in the title.

In fact I actually use the software tool from my motherboard to OC when encoding & gaming, and I underclock & slow the fans when I'm just web browsing / watching movies etc. I quite like it that way for noise / heat / power reasons. Speaking of which noise is a big factor for me as my case sits ~3 feet from where i sleep

PSU, got to be modular or at least semi modular. I may not be great at cable management, but i hate clutter. Also no LEDs, see above about sleeping.

GPU: never personally used the red team in my own rig. Not since the Radeon 9200 anyway (i've still got that box lying around somewhere). Are AMD getting better with their drivers and what not? This shows the 2 fairly well matched. also Physx & CUDA.

Also on the topic, my TV doesn't support PC via HDMI i'm currently gimping it by using a DVI to VGA cable and capped at 1360x768. Doesn't bother me so much as I get good frame rates while cranking the pretties. Wouldn't the 3GB on the 7950 just be going to waste?

Gotta get ready for work now, will do a little more research on the memory / motherboard / other when i get home in ~9 hours. Hopefully if not too many changes will go shopping tomorrow :)

god damn it i accidentally hit back on my mouse when i had a whole post typed out

i do quite a bit of video encoding be it from dvd / bluray to mp4 and vice-versa so i figured the HT would help cut the time of that significantly. The fact 3770 it is locked does not bother me as my Q6600 barely gets OC'd as it is. Yeah, Yeah I know, blasphemy on a site with Overclockers in the title.

In fact I actually use the software tool from my motherboard to OC when encoding & gaming, and I underclock & slow the fans when I'm just web browsing / watching movies etc. I quite like it that way for noise / heat / power reasons. Speaking of which noise is a big factor for me as my case sits ~3 feet from where i sleep

PSU, got to be modular or at least semi modular. I may not be great at cable management, but i hate clutter. Also no LEDs, see above about sleeping.

GPU: never personally used the red team in my own rig. Not since the Radeon 9200 anyway (i've still got that box lying around somewhere). Are AMD getting better with their drivers and what not? This shows the 2 fairly well matched. also Physx & CUDA.

Also on the topic, my TV doesn't support PC via HDMI i'm currently gimping it by using a DVI to VGA cable and capped at 1360x768. Doesn't bother me so much as I get good frame rates while cranking the pretties. Wouldn't the 3GB on the 7950 just be going to waste?

Gotta get ready for work now, will do a little more research on the memory / motherboard / other when i get home in ~9 hours. Hopefully if not too many changes will go shopping tomorrow :)

The 2600K has HT

The 7950 is cheaper and I guess at that res it wouldn't matter much about the extra 1GB of Vram but why pay more for "less". Will you actually use the CUDA and Physx, it's just like the 3GB question ya know?? If you're concerned about the card being overpowered, why not get a 7870 or something and save some money??

There are very few technical differences between a locked & unlocked 3770 except the obvious one. So, even if you do not have any plan to overclock, I would suggest you to for with the unlocked one. 3-4 years down the line, if you ever come to a situation, when the CU is bottlecking something you wan to run in your PC, overclocking could provide you an way out.

Choosing GTX660ti over HD7950 is something like you are paying foe something less.
Will you actually going to use Phyx, ever? If notm, then HD750 o even a cheaper option is availible in the form of HD7870.

Ended up swapping the 120GB SSD for the 250GB version and picked up the 7950 instead. Also managed to get a set of 1866 Gskill ripjaws for $129 so went with them instead.

I've officially pissed off everyone in my household ranting about how awesome SSDs are and "come look how quick this boots & shuts down" :lol:

Ended up swapping the 120GB SSD for the 250GB version and picked up the 7950 instead. Also managed to get a set of 1866 Gskill ripjaws for $129 so went with them instead.

I've officially pissed off everyone in my household ranting about how awesome SSDs are and "come look how quick this boots & shuts down" :lol:

Typical story with first time SSD users.. :lol: