SWTOR: Official Game Thread

TheHostileGamer

Each class can only equip a certain amount of weapon types. In other games the Ranger/Hunter can use melee weapons as well as ranged. Just because a Ranger/Hunter decided to only use melee weapons, doesn't make him overlap the melee classes. A pure melee class will destroy a ranged class using melee weapons. A Elementalist can't be a Thief and a Thief can't be a Necromancer. But....each class may have some sort of melee weapon however that doesn't define them to be melee or caster. Their actual class is distinct.

Each story playthrough is different in GW2 thanks to its personal story.

How is there even a challenge with the healer, is what I would say. I've played purely healer in both WoW and Warhammer Online at end-game PvE/PvP. It's honestly not a hard class to play. Most of the time you outheal the damage done to you or teammates. The only time you're screwed is if you're bad at mana management or you don't know how to psft around the corner.

Just because everyone can heal doesn't necessarily make the game easier to play. They clearly adjust other aspect of the game to make it challenging.

There are only three real class roles in a game to fill. Tank, Healer, DPS

You have subsets of those with ranged and melee

The three class roles is what I was focusing on.... If each player can DPS, Heal, and Tank it just seems silly... I would much rather give the option to the player which he/she wants to play and have them have some level of commitment to that role... In SWTOR, SWTOR allows players to do other roles when needed, but there is still a commitment to the role the player chose.

Another thing too, Guild wars 2 will likely be free to play, and thus wont be able to provide the added level of continued content that paid mmos can...

Sure they can offer to sell things in a store, but the quality of the content usually isn't on par with what the subsription based models use...

I can already tell that SWTOR will be continued for quite a few years with regular content patches... WIth each story moment voice acted the production quality is just one step higher... MMO creators should be looking at that and stepping the bar up... We need characters talking to us, and not just us reading text...

There are only three real class roles in a game to fill. Tank, Healer, DPS

You have subsets of those with ranged and melee

The three class roles is what I was focusing on.... If each player can DPS, Heal, and Tank it just seems silly... I would much rather give the option to the player which he/she wants to play and have them have some level of commitment to that role... In SWTOR, SWTOR allows players to do other roles when needed, but there is still a commitment to the role the player chose.

Another thing too, Guild wars 2 will likely be free to play, and thus wont be able to provide the added level of continued content that paid mmos can...

Sure they can offer to sell things in a store, but the quality of the content usually isn't on par with what the subsription based models use...

I can already tell that SWTOR will be continued for quite a few years with regular content patches... WIth each story moment voice acted the production quality is just one step higher... MMO creators should be looking at that and stepping the bar up... We need characters talking to us, and not just us reading text...

The tanking roles will still come down to armor based classes. You're not going to have an Elementalist or Thief tanking every pull/boss. It's just not going to work they cloth wearers nor are they going to stand there and take each hit like a traditional tank. The classes that can take the beating are the Warrior and Guardian, they can equip shields and they generally have the largest life pools. Why even turtle tank to begin with. You can snare and kite and pass the aggro. You can do that in WoW in some cases. I've seen two DPS characters solo an instance boss by using their BRAINS and not some class with a tag saying this is your sole purpose you cannot do anything else. The dungeons themselves have a story mode and an exploration mode. So there is replay-ability in doing them.

Guild Wars 2 will be like its predecessor, you buy the game and then you do not pay any subscription. To this day Guild Wars 1 still gets updates/balances and even new content. When a group like ArenaNet making one of their biggest titles yet and they still have time to support their older games that shows commitment. The lore is there in GW, you would have to read their site for all the details. New dynamic events can be added into the rotation in the future. The game has support for expansions. ArenaNet does release free content updates.

Tanks for the Memories!

Without the “holy trinity” of tank, DPS, and healer in Guild Wars 2, we’ve definitely had an interesting time with dungeon design. Traditional MMO boss fights consist of one character running up to get aggro, another character healing them, and the rest of the team just slamming their heads against the boss. Instead, we have players making conscious decisions in combat about where to stand, what role to play, when to roll out, etc. Overall, our dungeons have a more team-oriented feel to them. One person does not dictate the flow of a dungeon; the entire team contributes to the direction. This could mean making decisions as a team on which path to take or splitting up to fight two pieces of a boss at the same time.

So there’s some info about what I do and a little bit about the dungeons in general. Our ultimate goal is to create an exciting experience for small groups of players and to offer them a rewarding and enjoyable challenge. I hope this has given you some insight into the process, mindset, and world of the dungeon team.

I look forward to partying up and running some dungeons with you!

The developers don't think of GW2 in terms of a traditional MMO, because its not.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Lol krazy asian or whatever your name means. You haven't played EITHER game and yet you have an opinion?

SWTOR = 1.5M people in the first week of play FACT!, So I think that beats 800 or whatever you got from Xfire (why your using xfire as the base of your facts is beyond me)

GW2 = Fancy CG videos but still not released (probably because they are waiting to see what SWTOR brings to the table so they can copy it)

Basically it comes to this, stop arguing with people about a game you have never played but since you played WoW and GW1 you know all about MMO's

Edited by f!ver

SWTOR = 1.5M people in the first week of play FACT!, So I think that beats 800 or whatever you got from Xfire (why your using xfire as the base of your facts is beyond me)

GW2 = Fancy CG videos but still not released (probably because they are waiting to see what SWTOR brings to the table so they can copy it)

Basically it comes to this, stop arguing with people about a game you have never played but since you played WoW and GW1 you know all about MMO's

Xfire is a reliable source. It is a fact that the some 800 Xfire users did play GW1 yesterday as compared to another popular RPG Diablo 2: LoD to put it into perspective. There are still a lot of users on Xfire otherwise SWTOR wouldn't be in their top 5 games played today.

GW2 has gameplay footage and lots of it. I've never see any CG footage you are referring to. All their trailers are with game footage or using their 2D/3D artwork. ArenaNet isn't delaying the release of the launch to see what SWTOR brings. It hasn't launched yet because they are still building the game. Such is why many of its aspects have yet to be released to the public.

Traditional MMO do tend to all play alike and SWTOR is a traditional MMO (Holy Trinity of Tank/DPS/Healer, even greengiant912 was kind enough to bring it up). I've seen its boss fights and dungeon runs. I ask if you've even seen anything about GW2. As you don't seem to know anything about GW2 development.

Hate the game, not the player :dunno:

Edited by Krazyxazn

If you notice in my post I never claimed to know anything about the mechanics of GW2, but you haven't played SWTOR so I dont understand how you can say it's traditional. You have no idea how different instances are and how we can have space combat in an MMO. Please just go troll elsewhere because as the thread states this is for people who play SWTOR, the GW2 thread is down the hall punish.gif

I'm not the one attacking SWTOR. I simply asked what makes SWTOR good. I listed things GW2 has, and people attack GW2 and I defend it.

Traditional = Tank/DPS/Healer and holds the molds of previous RPG games before it. It's not an insult to call a RPG traditional. It's like calling a FPS first person or third person.

Xfire is a reliable source. It is a fact that the some 800 Xfire users did play GW1 yesterday as compared to another popular RPG Diablo 2: LoD to put it into perspective. There are still a lot of users on Xfire otherwise SWTOR wouldn't be in their top 5 games played today.

GW2 has gameplay footage and lots of it. I've never see any CG footage you are referring to. All their trailers are with game footage or using their 2D/3D artwork. ArenaNet isn't delaying the release of the launch to see what SWTOR brings. It hasn't launched yet because they are still building the game. Such is why many of its aspects have yet to be released to the public.

Traditional MMO do tend to all play alike and SWTOR is a traditional MMO (Holy Trinity of Tank/DPS/Healer, even greengiant912 was kind enough to bring it up). I've seen its boss fights and dungeon runs. I ask if you've even seen anything about GW2. As you don't seem to know anything about GW2 development.

Hate the game, not the player :dunno:

I have read a little about GW2, but honestly as a gamer it isn't something that has drawn my attention, and I would assume a lot of others are the same way. I was kinda interested when I heard my future wife Felicia Day (who I have meet and have had drinks with), was doing some voice acting in it, since then not so much... I have read a few articles on the classes, but it just seems kinda plain to me...

I respect that your a big guild wars fan, and you have a right to be... I just don't think you should be bashing on SWTOR until you try it... I did a little bashing about Guild Wars 2, too and I haven't tried it.. I have tried GW1 though...

I just don't think you should be bashing on SWTOR until you try it... I did a little bashing about Guild Wars 2, too and I haven't tried it.. I have tried GW1 though...

Where do you see me bashing SWTOR other than one post where I said GW2 was better. Every response from you was attacking a mechanic of GW2 that actually doesn't have an issue. You guys tell me I shouldn't talk about SWTOR since I haven't played it, yet the majority of my statements are about what GW2 has and asking what does SWTOR have in return (if you want to call that bashing, I call it comparing).

The only two responses I got of why SWTOR is good is:

1) It's Star Wars

2) Flashpoints

The rest were people attacking GW2 instead of answering my question.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Ok lets get this topic back on track!

Just hit 35 and now I'm on quesh but I saw the level range for quesh is only like 2 levels? Is it a small planet lol?

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to get bored of the story now though, I'll be honest. I fracking tired of helping the damn Imperial Army all the time (I'm a sith assassin) the story has actually changed my mind about them. I always thought they were ruthless and without fear. Now I just know they are all incompetent!

Thoughts?

Ok lets get this topic back on track!

Just hit 35 and now I'm on quesh but I saw the level range for quesh is only like 2 levels? Is it a small planet lol?

-----------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to get bored of the story now though, I'll be honest. I fracking tired of helping the damn Imperial Army all the time (I'm a sith assassin) the story has actually changed my mind about them. I always thought they were ruthless and without fear. Now I just know they are all incompetent!

Thoughts?

Quesh is pretty small, during my quest to 50 I came back to it once or twice in my story....

There are some quests that I kinda get annoyed with. Like a quest giver asking you to take out x republic troop position, your a commander of the freaking Imperial Army do it yourself! Then they make up some excuse, oh well we don't have the troops to do it.. And you expect little old me to do it by myself? lol

There are some quests that get a little annoying like that, but I think the overall character story is where its at... SWTOR really focuses on the individual character development, and makes you really attached to that character. Most MMO's its a race to end game, and frankly if you play SWTOR like that you will be missing out on sooo much... Many MMOs your just another class, but in SWTOR your a character with real purpose in the universe.

I have been doing a lot of PVP, and its pretty fun. I just got my 3 set piece for my PVP gear tonight and then I was like well lets try another class... So I started up the Bounty Hunter character...Enjoying it so far, I picked mercenary, wasn't real sure which route I wanted to take... I always used to play a healer in other MMOs but I have been trying to stay away from it in this one... I think I will go damage on this guy...

PVE gear seems a little harder to get than PVP gear... I am having a tough time getting groups that just want to run flashpoints... The one thing this game really needs is a group finder, and cross realm support...

This is a feature I would of thought would of been a no brainer after seeing how Blizzard implemented it into WoW with huge positive feedback. They could of easily engineered the game to do a similar system while in development... It really needs it too especially for the Heroic missions.... There were so many I just dropped because I couldn't get a group...

Daily quests are there, I really kinda dislike the whole idea of daily quests... It makes any progression for ones character reliant on ones completion of those quests everyday... In wow I hated them, and the only time I did it was when there was a great incentive to do them, such as reputation, or mounts, etc... It seems sooo grindtasktic to have dailys... /shrug...

Oh yeah and I am a little annoyed at customer service so far.. Each time I have ticketed a GM, I have gotten automated responses... Its pretty fail imo... The response often being, "thank you for your feedback stay tuned to patch notes for a resolution of this issue" so basically they are admitting their game is broken, and that they aren't going to satisfy me as a customer... /shrug... Blizzard has great customer service, every time I have called or talked with a GM they have always been human, and not scripted... Which is what I like in my customer service. maybe I am just expecting too much..

Edited by greengiant912

im really enjoying tor im currently a lvl 35 sith sorcerer (heals) been leveling with my bounty hunter friend(tank) and its been a lot of fun we spam run flash points so we are a few level ahead of what we should be but its great because we can 2 man anything. but what makes this game great is it has a good story not to mention a unique story for each class something you never see in mmorpg's i have played almost everyone out there i have a problem when it comes to mmo's. but also in tor you get your companions witch have loyalty quest and etc like they do in masseffect and the old republic and stuff. but also your companions can gather and craft for you with is can i say the greatest thing in the world! yeah i can go out quest and craft at the same time. also space missions in your ship are alot of fun and adds new level of play so its not just standard dungeon crawling u can go do space ship combat and mix things up. also with it being starwars and in a period of more unknown lore they have so much to work with. im really hoping we get pod racing!! i have been playing it every night almost sense head start and still loving it. i have have multiple characters and each one has a fairly good story. not to mention the hidden datacrons that permanently increase stats is cool rewards me for randomly exploring like i always do in wide open games.

@f!ver - try making an alt or just spam run some space missions for a while and take a break from that one characters story so when you get back its not so much omg this crap again. i mean i expected most of the imperial army to be incompetent that is why its your job to kill them and teach them lessons!! and shoot lightning at everyone you can!

The one thing this game really needs is a group finder, and cross realm support...

This is a feature I would of thought would of been a no brainer after seeing how Blizzard implemented it into WoW with huge positive feedback. They could of easily engineered the game to do a similar system while in development... It really needs it too especially for the Heroic missions.... There were so many I just dropped because I couldn't get a group...

i disgree i really dont like the idea of a group finder. THIS and actually most of the comments make a lot of sense. when actually finding people instead of a random grouping the groups tend to work a lot better. people half to generally behave if they want to get groups again. also the idea i like about not having cross real support is you cant make friend that way. if its all single realm you can actually add people to friends lists and continue to group with them later on. after all it is a social game. i especially like the quote in that article "People want to group, but they just don't want the hassle and the responsibility that comes with it." i use to play wow i cant tell you how many people sat there afk after getting in or ninja'd everything that dropped. with this the chances of that drops.

Edited by htaed