Refurbished HDDs; What's your stance?

d3athsd00r

Newegg is having a decent sale on the refurbished WD20EZRX 2TB green drive ($70 instead of $110):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236427

and I wanted to know how some of you felt about getting refurb over new?

I'm planning to get 2, so I would be saving $60. It has the option for a 1 year extended warranty at $7 each which would still have me saving $46 should I choose to get the warranty (90 days otherwise)

I've purchased a number of different refurb items, cameras, laptops etc and have never had an issue. Refurb means the manufacturer has fully tested and made whatever repairs (if needed) to bring the item back to "new" condition.

I've purchased a number of different refurb items, cameras, laptops etc and have never had an issue. Refurb means the manufacturer has fully tested and made whatever repairs (if needed) to bring the item back to "new" condition.

I've bought a few refurb items as well, I just wasn't sure what the consensus was on HDDs.

A lot of people say not to buy refurb drives, but its kind of hard to pass this deal up.

Only if they are really cheap. Otherwise I rather have a 2-5 year warranty on a brand new drive. I have bad luck with HDDs.

+1

I have never had a SATA hdd last longer than the warranty period.... I have IDE drives that are 10 years old but the longest i've kept a SATA drive is 1.5 years. Bad luck i guess.

As sketchy as a refurbished HDD can be, I would definitely steer clear of the WD Green series regardless.

No problems with mine (either new or refurbished).

I doubt that a hard drive ever really gets refurbished.  More likely is that it's an unused return being sold as a refurb.  They usually have the warranty, so hell yes!

As sketchy as a refurbished HDD can be, I would definitely steer clear of the WD Green series regardless.

Whats wrong with green drives? they serve their purpose well, if it doesn't suit your needs then fine but don't see anything wrong with the drives themselves.

Used/refurb hdd's are fine by me. Usually do a pc-check on a drive if its used though just to be sure..