Adding 256gb Crucial M4 to SSD/HDD Rampage III Extreme Setup.

Springbok82

Hi all,

I have decided to stick with my Rampage III Extreme despite it's craptastic Marvell Controller and SATA II. I have been convinced to run the two SSD drives on SATA II instead of Marvell. The alternative would be to upgrade or "sidegrade" to X79 or Z77 just for SATA III. This has been pointed out to me by the friendly folk in the mobo, cpu and memory thread. No money for that right now and probably not worth it.

Current setup:

Asus Rampage III Extreme

I7 930 @ 4GHZ

EVGA GTX680 Superclocked Edition

12gb Corsair Vengeance (installed yesterday, upgraded from 6gb Corsair GT)

Crucial M4 128gb SSD (running off Marvell Controller, seems ok)

Windows 7 installed on SSD

1 TB Samsung spinpoint F3

27inch Dell U2711

I'm so in love with Crucial that I just purchased a 256gb version. After a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 I would like to add the 256gb to the system and use it as follows:

128gb M4 - Windows 7

256gb M4 - Games (of various flavours; offline, mmo etc)

Spinpoint - Documents, photos, movies etc.

What I am thinking is after windows installs, that th eMy Folders section will appear on the 256gb, allowing Windows to have complete free reign on the 128gb and focus on what its gotta do. So, for example, save games and other gaming related stuff is usually written to the "my folder" section which is currently setup on my Spinpoint, now it will be on my 256gb making that data available much quicker due to it being an SSD, of course.

The Spinpoint will then act as a place to store all non game related stuff like videos, photos etc. and will be accessed "as is" from my computer. I like a little organization, you see.

Does this make sense? Does it sound too overkill for and old X58 beast? Or should I dump the 128gb and use the 256gb for Windows and Games and be done with it?

Obviously, I will be tweaking the drives to remove any buildup of junk on the drives over time.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Edited by Springbok82