Ready to buy a new power supply

Corsair usually uses Seasonic, Flextronics, and Channel Well PSU's and rebrands them as Corsair units. All of them are high quality units, and Corsair has exceptional customer support, so you would have been good with any of those choices.

That said, I would have picked the Seasonic, too. :)

Don't forget Chicano!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it sounds like I pretty much bought the Corsair anyways without it having a Corsair logo on it.

So you did... should I ever need such a beast Seasonic would be my choice as well, till then Antecs with replaced capacitors will be more than sufficient (some are from 2003).

Edited by tazwegion

So it sounds like I pretty much bought the Corsair anyways without it having a Corsair logo on it.

So you did... should I ever need such a beast Seasonic would be my choice as well, till then Antecs with replaced capacitors will be more than sufficient (some are from 2003).

That's a pretty MacGyver thing to do! Sometimes they really don't make them like they used to. 

That's a pretty MacGyver thing to do! Sometimes they really don't make them like they used to.

Nah that's the bad caps.net way of resisting obsolescence, I agree they will never make them like they used to... it's called progress ;)

Nah that's the bad caps.net way of resisting obsolescence, I agree they will never make them like they used to... it's called progress ;)

How much did it cost and did you have a guide to refurbishing it or were just good with soldering and what not??

How much did it cost and did you have a guide to refurbishing it or were just good with soldering and what not??

I've messed with electronics since I was young but I wouldn't claim to be anything more than average with the soldering iron, as for guides there may be some around but I worked mostly off tips I read and a common sense approach.

Badcaps.net is an excellent resource point if you're interested, whilst cost is relative to your ability to locate a supply of suitable replacements, IIRC I completed the last retrofit for less than $20 AUD.

One of the first Antec's I repaired has been running 8 years since without issue.

Edited by tazwegion

I've messed with electronics since I was young but I wouldn't claim to be anything more than average with the soldering iron, as for guides there may be some around but I worked mostly off tips I read and a common sense approach.

Badcaps.net is an excellent resource point if you're interested, whilst cost is relative to your ability to locate a supply of suitable replacements, IIRC I completed the last retrofit for less than $20 AUD.

One of the first Antec's I repaired has been running 8 years since without issue.

Was that preventative maintenance or did it die from blown caps??

T'was reactive not preventative, essentially the voltages were unstable and below specification thus the PSU was unable to run it's intended system.

T'was reactive not preventative, essentially the voltages were unstable and below specification thus the PSU was unable to run it's intended system.
I assume they are much higher quality caps and likely don't need to be replaced for a WHILE, right?

I assume they're much higher quality caps and likely don't need to be replaced for a WHILE, right?

Without question, the fuhjyuu capacitors were poorly made and vented badly although the low speed/noise fan design of the PSU contributed somewhat to the increased temperatures triggering the domino effect (failure).

I primarily use Rubycons, Panasonics, SamXon, Hitano and Sprague but the key is finding Low ESR rated units that will fit the space/dimensions.

As for longevity... I mentioned previously one of the first units I repaired is still powering a s754/ti4200 system without issue 8 years on, the PSU was originally manufactured back in 2002 and purchased used (faulty) in 2004.

Antec 380w repair thread

Edited by tazwegion