Blanking unused fan mounts

Tonight, we have some science going on. I'm testing blocking out a fan mount I don't use on the P280. As it stands now, this mount acts as a black hole, it's not being used and could actually make cooling less efficient. My extremely scientific materials are cardboard and tape. I roughly cut the cardboard plate to match and taped it to the inside of the case.

Result:

post-8508-0-49552300-1392433625_thumb.jp

Science bit comes from measuring temperatures and noise levels periodically. I'm already familiar with these, so I will be checking to see if there are any changes, and whether those are beneficial. If all of this proves beneficial, I am going to get a proper blocking plate.

post-8508-0-49552300-1392433625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hyper Threaded

I've wondered about this as well, not only fan placement but whether or not the placement of 'open' areas (be they side mesh panels or unused fan locations) really affect the airflow and cooling all that much.

My results have been interesting so far, noise level is down by 1-2db, CPU temperature is up by around 2c. Exhaust temperature has increased, suggesting the fans are more effectively pulling out heat. I no longer hear the constant sucking sound from having a completely open area.