SSD Hardware Raid vs Software Raid & Trim

PanskiKow

I have a question about Raid 0 & SSD drives. I have heard that under hardware raid the drivers do not support trim without a pass through comand to the ssd drive. But why not use software raid under Windows 7 Ultimate, Pro. with the standerd AHCI drivers in a dynamic drive array. You get fault tollerant (if raid 1) and hot swap abillity, you get the benifit of raid 0 with Trim so you don't have to loss SSD HDD space at the end of the drive. Is running dynamic a problem with trim and security or would it just be a problem with mounting undynamic drives only? Can you raid 0 with software raid 0 only under linux or can you in Windows 7 under a GUI during install? Is dynamic a problem with SSD HDD drives at all? You have to clean erase the drive anyway with SSD and to remove a dynamic drive volume even with a standerd HDD to change back to simple volumes. I was wondering because I was thinking of raiding SSD's. Your thoughts would be great on pros and cons.

Windows 7 Ultimate
i7 930 2.8 GHZ (D0) @ 3.8 GHZ
XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200
PNY gtx 460 enthusiast edition
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
Monitor ASUS VH236H 23"

RAID an SSD is pretty much a none starter. The advantage RAID0 offers is increased through put but unless you are dealing with massive files all the time there is no benefit. The speed of an SSD is it's seek times, something that a RAID does not help. Unless you are dealing with a lot of video editing or other file editing that uses very large single files there is just no reason to do it.

RAID an SSD is pretty much a none starter. The advantage RAID0 offers is increased through put but unless you are dealing with massive files all the time there is no benefit. The speed of an SSD is it's seek times, something that a RAID does not help. Unless you are dealing with a lot of video editing or other file editing that uses very large single files there is just no reason to do it.

True, but with the advantage of raid 0 SSD is equally balancing the cycle write time between two vs one SSD drive to increase the life of the drives ( division of data to each volume). I have many dvds, vhs and records to convert to backup. I would be better probably running 2 SAS drives on the SAS controller in raid 0 then just use it for converting (Temp), with the SSD on the ICH10R controller with the 1 tb backup. But how will that effect the driver trim support on the ICH10R controller for the SSD AHCI? Would it not be a problem since it's on a different controller? It may even take longer to convert on standerd HDD but I wouldn't wearout an SSD drive as fast in Raid 0 with 2 or 4 SSDs. But could you software raid 0 under windows 7? I know you can set Linux up for software raid 0 on install.

RAID will west out all drives in the array equally. Unless you write massive files only the majority of the time you won't really reduce the effective writes because of write amplification.

And on top of that...if all you do is streaming writes you're better of with HDDs IMO.

I have a question about Raid 0 & SSD drives. I have heard that under hardware raid the drivers do not support trim without a pass through comand to the ssd drive. But why not use software raid under Windows 7 Ultimate, Pro. with the standerd AHCI drivers in a dynamic drive array. You get fault tollerant (if raid 1) and hot swap abillity, you get the benifit of raid 0 with Trim so you don't have to loss SSD HDD space at the end of the drive. Is running dynamic a problem with trim and security or would it just be a problem with mounting undynamic drives only? Can you raid 0 with software raid 0 only under linux or can you in Windows 7 under a GUI during install? Is dynamic a problem with SSD HDD drives at all? You have to clean erase the drive anyway with SSD and to remove a dynamic drive volume even with a standerd HDD to change back to simple volumes. I was wondering because I was thinking of raiding SSD's. Your thoughts would be great on pros and cons.

Windows 7 Ultimate

i7 930 2.8 GHZ (D0) @ 3.8 GHZ

XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution

Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB

Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200

PNY gtx 460 enthusiast edition

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W

Monitor ASUS VH236H 23"

Yes but back to the Posted question!