Backup/Storage Network

road-runner

Since dads house burned up and he lost everything including the backup drives I was thinking about put something in my shed or small barn to backup PC and store photos etc. on. Everything I have been reading about the NAS say slow transfer speeds on the single drive buffalo, seagate, WD etc.

I have a cat 6 cable run to it with a switch out there all giagabit from the router own out to the switch. I have a WD 2TB mybook thought aboiut putting it out there but it gets awful hot in there not sure how it would hold up in this texas heat.

Just looking for some suggestions, I have a pc I could put out there read a little about building a NAS out of one not sure whats the best easiest route. I have to do the same at dads other  place except its a big barn I already have cat 6 to it also. Its gonna have to be something simple for him hes not to good with computers but wants his stuff to auto back up out there...

Edited by road-runner

use an old PC and underclock it so heat wont be an issue even ambient,,,,

Yea I am thinking the store boiught WD thing wont last out there probably gets 120 in there at times...

Edited by road-runner

I'm sure you already noticed there is definitely not a shortage of options for NAS/Backup system. The the real issue will be working around the environment, while still having a reliable system that doesn't cost a fortune.

Here are just some general questions to consider: What type of backups are you looking for in an ideal scenario (entire drives/partitions or documents), how often should files be backed up to the the NAS (hourly/daily/weekly)? How much data needs to be stored, and of that data how often will changes be made to the base files? Another thing to consider is cloud based services. If you are really looking for a reliable off site back up a cloud service might be better than a NAS in a hot enclosed environment. I completely understand wanting to keep personal files locally, but sometimes cloud solutions do make a lot of sense (this assumes that you have decent connectivity).

I have done a lot of playing around with NAS systems. Unfortunately a lot of them can be quite complicated (especially the home brew systems), and the more fully featured NAS systems are going to be rather expensive. There are quite a lot of turnkey style linux distros; openfiler, freenas, nexenta, hell even just a standard ubuntu or fedora system can be set up to hold backups. In my experience with those systems (using salvaged parts), the speed was generally just not that impressive.

I did a lot of tinkering around with different linux distributions and in the end I just gave up... While I had moderate success with some setups, others were a failure. In the end I chose to buy a Synology NAS. The ease of use and reliability won me over within hours of having it plugged in. Granted it was fairly expensive, but with the amount of frustration it saved me tinkering with random issues it was definitely worth it to me.

Yea I was looking at freenas, windows home server, looked at the synolgy NAS also that seems to be the one people are talking about. Only thing I am going to backup is music, pictures, documents, not worried about the O/S can build another PC install that just dont want to loose a lot of old pictures is the main thing. I been thinking about just uploading them to flickr I see they got a 1tb free...

Edited by road-runner

I would consider cloud services.. 

I think you would still save even if your paying yearly..

The up keep of the PC and the possibility of drives failing out in that heat.

What I do personally all my super important files I keep on Dropbox.

My not so important stuff is on this backup drive that I have in a ThermalTake BlackX and I put the drive inside of my Waterproof/Fireproof box I keep all my documents in.

Another thing to consider if you have an Android or iPhone.

Google Music - iCloud.

All my music I have bought is on Google Music's Cloud. 

So really in theory I don't even have to backup my music even though I do.

I would consider cloud services.. 

I think you would still save even if your paying yearly..

The up keep of the PC and the possibility of drives failing out in that heat.

What I do personally all my super important files I keep on Dropbox.

My not so important stuff is on this backup drive that I have in a ThermalTake BlackX and I put the drive inside of my Waterproof/Fireproof box I keep all my documents in.

Another thing to consider if you have an Android or iPhone.

Google Music - iCloud.

All my music I have bought is on Google Music's Cloud. 

So really in theory I don't even have to backup my music even though I do.

Your probably right about the cloiud service easiest simplest thing, dad had a few of those fireproof boxes also but they are no more either it was a hot fire I know that...

Heres a link with video some of you seen it on facebook I think..

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/willis-log-cabin-destroyed-by-three-alarm-fire/

Some pics I took http://s135.photobucket.com/user/road-runnerOCC/library/Dads%20Fire?sort=2&page=1

Edited by road-runner

Amazon Glacier is an ok deal as long as you use it as a backup only. Once you need to retrieve the data it costs a bit more, but it probably is less than the data is worth to you.

Another option is to get a safe deposit box and store your backup drives there. The disadvantage is that you need to remember to rotate your backups, otherwise it's worthless. You can also store your drives at work instead of the bank. If you go this route, truecrypt the entire drive.