Datsun Z Thread

Onion

Overall body style reminds me of the modern 370z which doesn't have the lengthened sports car wheelbase of a classic sports car...yours is definitely classic styling ...good one leet !

It should, the 370 is meant to look more like the earlier models. People raged about the little ridge on the rear of the 350 so they got rid of it on the 370

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm bringing the Z up to school with me next weekend. I've got 48 hours in Miami to figure out the gas gauge thing, or I'll have to be making very frequent stops at gas stations to avoid being stranded at the side of the road. :lol: Also, a working speedometer would be nice. Everyone drives slow as hell here, so I can either take all day to get back to Jacksonville, or get a possibly massive ticket for going too fast. Also, I need to get my seatbelt working. :lol: This should be interesting. 

Edit: Side note, named the car Antoine. Antoine Datsun. :lol: Oh, and I dipped the tails. Pics coming soon. 

Edited by Onion

What's up with the states....

In Aus you would need a roadworthy before you could drive that thing. Any one of the issues you list, broken gas gauge, seatbelt not working properly, broken speedo etc would make it unroadworthy and before you can drive a new car it needs a roadwortht cert.

That was the Badazz car back in the Day.  I was 16 yrs old in the First Model Year.  It was my dream car.  The first Model year bodies, that went like three years, were the best imo. After that they kept getting bigger and more cluttered.

Back in the 70s they had a Kit where you could drop in a small-block Chevy and drivetrain into a "Z".  Along with that, the rear fender wells were widened to accomodate a much larger wheel and tire necessary for the power.  They were called Scarrabs if im not mistaken.

Edit:

Here's a link to the Scarab Z-------http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=Z+car+Scarabs&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=PiNAzp9jqHtI9M&tbnid=JqRLXBBlqs_WUM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frides.hotrod.com%2Fride%2F1202390%2Fbobszcar%2F1974%2Fdatsun%2F260z%2Fphotos%2F4.html&ei=dUxTUaXyHeOCiwL6qYDoCg&bvm=bv.44442042,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNE3SmgQljrGkV4JCfY2qFLBwzVhXQ&ust=1364499911893613

Edited by Kwok

In Aus you would need a roadworthy before you could drive that thing. Any one of the issues you list, broken gas gauge, seatbelt not working properly, broken speedo etc would make it unroadworthy and before you can drive a new car it needs a roadwortht cert.

A speedo and a gas gauge are just luxuries anyway, you don't need them.  A broken seatbelt can get you a fix-it-ticket that will keep you from legally registering until its fixed.  But you can register before getting pulled over for no seatbelt...  What's up with AUS, tell the man to get off your back!

There is a pretty good free speedometer app called Ulysse Speedometer.  It's more accurate than the speedo in my boat!  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer&hl=en

What's up with AUS, tell the man to get off your back!

+1

There is a pretty good free speedometer app called Ulysse Speedometer.  It's more accurate than the speedo in my boat!  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer&hl=en

I use that app, I love the HUD mode. I use it a lot when i'm driving at night.

The seatbelt works just fine, I just have to bolt up the harness temporarily since the seat is too big for the original belt. Speedo is a 30 second fix. The previous owner got some white face vinyl stickers for the gauges and the speedo one peeled off and blocks the needle at anything over 50 mph, so that's no big deal. Plus I could just guesstimate the speed with what gear I'm in and my rpm. Gas gauge doesn't matter, just figure out the MPG once and keep track of the mileage and tank size. Minor hinderances, doesn't affect the driveability.

That was the Badazz car back in the Day.  I was 16 yrs old in the First Model Year.  It was my dream car.  The first Model year bodies, that went like three years, were the best imo. After that they kept getting bigger and more cluttered.

Back in the 70s they had a Kit where you could drop in a small-block Chevy and drivetrain into a "Z".  Along with that, the rear fender wells were widened to accomodate a much larger wheel and tire necessary for the power.  They were called Scarrabs if im not mistaken.

Edit:

Here's a link to the Scarab Z-------http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=Z+car+Scarabs&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=PiNAzp9jqHtI9M&tbnid=JqRLXBBlqs_WUM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Frides.hotrod.com%2Fride%2F1202390%2Fbobszcar%2F1974%2Fdatsun%2F260z%2Fphotos%2F4.html&ei=dUxTUaXyHeOCiwL6qYDoCg&bvm=bv.44442042,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNE3SmgQljrGkV4JCfY2qFLBwzVhXQ&ust=1364499911893613

That's a pretty sweet Z. I'm so envious of V8 swaps lol. 

A speedo and a gas gauge are just luxuries anyway, you don't need them.  A broken seatbelt can get you a fix-it-ticket that will keep you from legally registering until its fixed.  But you can register before getting pulled over for no seatbelt...  What's up with AUS, tell the man to get off your back!

Just tested out the Ulysse Speedo app with my GTI, its so accurate! Great app, I'll definitely be using this to see if my speedo is properly calibrated (I've got a different rear axle and probably different gears on it). Seatbelt is no big deal, I can get that fixed in an afternoon and posed no problems when registering the car. Florida is so lenient. :lol: 

That's a nice looking car...but there seems to be quite a few "easy" fixes that haven't been done. That'd worry me!

I'm not too worried, the guy's a mechanic and did all the hard stuff first. I did a bit of research, he's got an unbelievable classic Camaro featured in a bunch of magazine. The only thing that isn't an easy fix is a rubber thing on the left side of the front axle. Just a sort of cover that ripped.

It has a front axle? I thought it was independent?

CV boot?

Didn't know the term for it. :P Its fully independent. Yeah, CV boot. The top part of it is torn.