Sony's Motion Controller: Playstation Move

sdy284

Saw this earlier, looks pretty neat. The design has been shown for a while but its nice to finally have a name for it. The Move works in concert with the PS Eye and its apparently going to have damn near 1:1 mapping. I'm not too keen on using it for games like SOCOM, though something like LBP would be pretty sweet to get a really precise placement of objects. The gladiator one would be sweet.. duel some friends in that and beat them down. :lol:

Little bit more news on it. :P

SCEA VP of Product Development Scott Rhode provided further details, stating Move could track both fast and subtle motions with under one frame of latency. "What you do in the real world will translate to the game," he said. "That means no limits on what developers can create."

Rhode led a series of live demonstrations that illustrated Move's capabilities. In the Sports Champions game pack, Sony demonstrated how two motion controllers can be used simultaneously to create sword and shield battles in Gladiator Duel. Playing Table Tennis, the company successfully showed how the system is sensitive enough to replicate hard and soft shots as well as topspin and slice. And in Motion Fighters, Sony demonstrated how flicks of the wrist won't do when a real punch is required.

Social games like Move Party were shown, illustrating how the Eye camera and Move controller can be used to create augmented reality family games, such as Paint Brush and Wacky Barber Shop, and then Sony pulled out two of its big guns. In LittleBigPlanet, developers played cooperatively with one person using Move to flip blocks and move platforms, while a partner controlled SackGirl moving through the environments with a standard Sixaxis. And in SOCOM 4, developers demonstrated how Move could be used to aim and fire weapons while a second controller could be used to control direction.

source

Yeah, some of the comments are quite uh, idiotic lol.

I'm curious as to how the whole thing will play out. Its going to be quite an interesting fall, to say the least.

One, there are no AA batteries to die. Both controllers utilize built in rechargeable batteries that use the same mini-usb cable that the regular PS3 controllers use.
am i the only one who sees a problem with this? they're going to use the same 1 meter (3ft) miniusb cable that makes you sit ridiculously close to your ps3 if you want to play while the battery is low? for a motion controller? or is everyone expected to buy lots of USB extension cables?

I wouldn't say the problem is their technology if the battery runs low, that kind of depends on if the player takes the time to charge it, it really doesn't take that long to charge the PS3 controller, if the controller runs down then the best solution would just be to run F@H and hook up the PS3 controller and come back in a little while. I personally just plug the controller into the PS3 whenever I walk out of the room while waiting for something like a demo to download, but usually I just plug it into my computer and let that charge it, and I usually have my laptop next to me when I play on the PS3 so I also plug it into my laptop, of course I realize that not everyone has a laptop or keeps one by them when they're playing, but I've never actually had the controller die on me either since the battery life is pretty good.

Edited by Deathmineral

i just personally don't like to stop gaming just because the controller battery is low. so i like how the xbox controller cable is like 3meters ~10ft. what i was trying to highlight was that with the dual shock 3 / six-axis its still possible to game while charging albeit a bit of an eye strain sitting so close to the tv. i dont see how you will able to play and charge a motion controller in the same fashion. Especially seeing as you'd think that the motion controller will require greater movements than the small ones required for the DS3

strangely i usually have a laptop near by but i've never thought of charging it that way lol. i shall be doing that in future, thanks for the tip :)

i just personally don't like to stop gaming just because the controller battery is low. so i like how the xbox controller cable is like 3meters ~10ft. what i was trying to highlight was that with the dual shock 3 / six-axis its still possible to game while charging albeit a bit of an eye strain sitting so close to the tv. i dont see how you will able to play and charge a motion controller in the same fashion. Especially seeing as you'd think that the motion controller will require greater movements than the small ones required for the DS3

strangely i usually have a laptop near by but i've never thought of charging it that way lol. i shall be doing that in future, thanks for the tip :)

If the battery life is anything like it's older brother's (sixaxis's) than you'll have nothing to worry about if you charge it religiously.

If you're still not satisfied: TA-DAH!!! :lol: