New Unreal Tournament - FREE w/ Community Marketplace

ClayMeow

Hmmmm, I am certainly interested in playing this title. Free2Play is generally a good model in my book, depending on the amount of in-game advertising a developer does though.

In the end, I'm excited to hear more about this new UT as it comes along. :)

It won't be free-to-play, but just simply free. Anything made and sold in the marketplace will help go towards paying for servers and the like.

They can distinguish all they want, but it's just semantics.

You can play the game for free, like any "free-to-play" title and there will be optional content to purchase, just like any "free-to-play" title. How is it any different than something like TF2?

Not saying there's a problem with that model, but let's be real here; a rose is a rose by any other name.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the content being made by the community does not have to be sold. It can just as well be free, it's all up to the person that makes it to decide whether or not to put it up for sale or to just give it out for free. Epic is concentrating on the shell, the community is doing the rest. I doubt you will see any game changers being put up for sale such as weapons and stuff. This is simply a way to market UE4 and to get people using it, the money is not gonna pour in from this game because for every one person that tries to sell something there will be ten doing the same thing for free.

Because the content being made by the community does not have to be sold. It can just as well be free, it's all up to the person that makes it to decide whether or not to put it up for sale or to just give it out for free. Epic is concentrating on the shell, the community is doing the rest. I doubt you will see any game changers being put up for sale such as weapons and stuff. This is simply a way to market UE4 and to get people using it, the money is not gonna pour in from this game because for every one person that tries to sell something there will be ten doing the same thing for free.

Again. It's semantics. If you don't think people will put stuff up for sale, you're naive. There will be stuff for sale, that is without question. If you don't want to buy any of it, that's your prerogative, just like it's your prerogative not to spend money on any other free-to-play title. It still doesn't change the fact that the models are essentially the same.

I don't doubt that people will put stuff up for sale. I guess you truly do not understand UT to see where I am coming from. Say Jimmy Joe Bob makes this super duper awesome thingymabob for the game, he wants to sell it, I don't want to buy it, I say to Dr. Bowtie's brother Twocenst that I would like it to run it on our server, him being very talented(as well as a few other guys in my clan) can spend a few minutes to make it for us to use on our server. UT has always been about user created content and to try and stop it would mean the new one would be dead before it hit the shelves. This is just the closest Epic is going to get to even thinking about collecting any money from that content. You could not make a UT and try and market it the way other games are today, nobody would pay for map packs, double xp, or any of the garbage that other companies feel the need to throw at you to suck every last penny out of you.

You guys are taking a very closed-minded approach to the free-to-play model like this is still 2005.

Path of Exile is F2P. It has no paywall; every area, every weapon, every piece of gear, are all available to everyone.

Again, I ask, how is this any different? Whether the developer or community creates the content doesn't matter.

And to Bubba specifically, that's great that you won't pay anything and will just get friends to make stuff for you, but if you think every UE user is equal, again, you're being naive. Explain to me why some people felt the need to buy the official Skyrim DLC when there are thousands of free mods? You don't think UT fans will pay for high quality content just because there are 100 free ones to every one paid one?

Epic has to make money somehow; they're a business, not a non-for-profit charity.

No, I know that people will still buy stuff but you are completely missing my point. If this were to follow the line of what most consider f2p then Epic would have said so like they did with Fortnite a few weeks ago. Epic will make money, UT has always been a showcase for the latest Unreal engine and Epic will make money from this project as well. Every person that wants to make something has to purchase a subscription, every person that that becomes familiar with ue4 and decides to make a new game using it will make money for epic. Think of how good it will look if the community can make a game look amazing, maybe more people will jump on the UE4 bandwagon. There are ways for epic to make money from UE4 with out hitting UT4.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol!

Real cool to see a project out in public this early in development - they are literally just beginning the bare basics like walking and the progress is public for everyone to see. I love it.

• 1 month later...