Guides Wanted At OCC

Still don't understand why we don't set up an OCC Wikia so members can just keep guides/info constantly up-to-date.

I like this idea, I used to be an admin on the Supreme Commander 2 Wiki, it was quite easy to get everything in place and keep it up to date.

I need to reapply TIM to one of my processors, so I can just take pictures of that for you and write something up. How detailed do you want us to be?

I need to reapply TIM to one of my processors, so I can just take pictures of that for you and write something up. How detailed do you want us to be?

READ!!! He said:

I am looking for details. Basically I want it written so that a person that has never touched a computer can understand how to do it based on what you wrote or show in a video.

LOL. for someone who spends so much time on this site you don't read much do you?

READ!!! He said:

I am looking for details. Basically I want it written so that a person that has never touched a computer can understand how to do it based on what you wrote or show in a video.

LOL. for someone who spends so much time on this site you don't read much do you?

:mfp::pfp: I have a bad case of tl;dr. 

I'll make up one on speaker set up, soundcards and sound settings.

This will be for Win 7 and I will consider adding a section for Win 8 at a later point.

Covering -

- USB Audio

- Optical/Coaxial Audio

- Installing a PCI-e soundcard

- Drivers/software

- Multi-channel audio

- 2.0 vs 2.0 vs 5.1/7.1 - pros/cons and applications

- onboard vs internal vs external soundcards - pros/cons and applications

- hooking up cables etc

- selecting and managing playback and recording devices

Considering the depth of the guide I should have it done within a fortnight.

Don't take this the wrong way, but is a soundcard really necessary?

I use HDMI from PC to receiver with optical audio and HDMI from receiver to TV.

So my receiver has 5.1

It seems as if I am getting good audio from the PC. Would a souncard make a difference?

That's why I am going through all sorts of things. Look at the pros/cons bit. I should also put HDMI audio in there too. Not everyone had a received with HDMI audio as well there are plenty of different situations out there.

• Like 1

I can make a NVIDIA video card driver update/install guide, but I haven't touched an AMD card for about a year and I no longer have one to do it.

My question is: Can I make a guide about NVIDIA only?

Yup that's fine.

A wiki is something we are looking at, but its a lot of work and security wise its a nightmare.

Well wikis are for the most part self-policed.

But the reason I feel it's a better alternative is because the problem with guides is always that they're outdated by the time they're released, or shortly after. Wikis also provide easy linking to other wiki pages, so you can have definitions for a bunch of terms, making it more noob friendly. I think people are just used to having wikis for everything nowadays and because of the all the topics you want to cover (and rightfully so), it's a whole lot easier to maintain and keep up to date. I think it's nice you're offering payment for guides, but I think it'd be better spent paying someone to set up a wiki and then just let people add guides/info as they see fit, no further compensation needed.

A wiki is something we are looking at, but its a lot of work and security wise its a nightmare.

Well wikis are for the most part self-policed.

But the reason I feel it's a better alternative is because the problem with guides is always that they're outdated by the time they're released, or shortly after. Wikis also provide easy linking to other wiki pages, so you can have definitions for a bunch of terms, making it more noob friendly. I think people are just used to having wikis for everything nowadays and because of the all the topics you want to cover (and rightfully so), it's a whole lot easier to maintain and keep up to date. I think it's nice you're offering payment for guides, but I think it'd be better spent paying someone to set up a wiki and then just let people add guides/info as they see fit, no further compensation needed.

Ya Wikis are great, just right now we are not setup for it, nor do we have the staff to do it. Its something we are looking at but its not on the top of the list yet.

After the fact the guides and all be moved too the Wiki as well there is nothing wrong with that either.