System Hangs On Boot

Shabadu

Only upon reboot, my system hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..."

I believe this has to do with checking the system memory? I could be wrong.

either way, this only happens upon reboot, and if i power down and power back up, it always boots fine. A few factors that might be affecting this...

I'm using an SATA raid 0 setup for my system drives.

I'm using an application called Bootskin to change my OS boot screen.

My system memory is set in dual channel mode.

Past this i'm really not sure why my pc does this.

Any suggestions?

P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but im really not sure what is causing the problem.

The first respons on google for the term "Verifying DMI Pool Data" came up with this link: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000474.htm

snip:

Issue:

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data...

Cause:

This issue can be caused by any of the following:

1. Corrupt boot files on the computer.

2. Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.

3. Boot devices not set properly.

4. BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.

5. Connections loose or disconnected.

6. Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

I dont think that would help him one bit, Gives jsut about EVERYTHING that can ever go wrong with a computer lol. Bad windows, bad hardware, bad hard drive, bad bios..... Anything else that they failed to say? Lol . Have you tried just booting off of an IDE drive? If you set the boot device to cd rom, will it boot the windows disk? Does it hang before the verify'ng dmi pool, or after?

I'm taking a guess that you're running WinXP or Win2K.

If so, can you boot off of the CD? If so, try booting from the CD and going into the 'Recovery Console' mode. From there (as long as you aren't dual-booting), try using the commands 'fixmbr' or 'fixboot' and see if that takes care of this issue...

none of that will work...what you need to do...is go to your motherboard manufacturer's website..download the raid drivers..and put them on a floppy disk.......then go to Microsoft's website...and download the bootdisk file for the 6 disk floppy method to install windows........when you install windows.........make sure that you press F6 when it asks you if you have any 3rd party drivers that need to be installed for your SATA drives.......then follow the directions.

You can update your sata drivers withou needing to reinstall windows btw, in control panel, thats where mine is. And i always thought the verifiing DMI comes up after something to the system has changed, on any pc i worked o when ever i changed something, it came up for a couple of seconds longer.

run the harddrive diagnostic program provided by hdd manu, then try diff stick of ram, just a couple of quickies that could help point u in a direction

geo

Edited by grcbjc

Ive tried swapping cables and all that, switching RAM sticks around, changing back to default settings (no overclocking). none of that has worked. I dont know what hdd manu is, so youll have to be more specific. as far as corrupt boot sectors, i would guess it doesnt boot at all if that was the case. I have yet to try switching with some different memory, i think ill try that now. Im pretty sure it doesnt have to do with the memory, but maybe my raid0 array (2x36gb raptor). I know a lot of people have used this setup, it would be a big help if anyone out there reading this had a similar problem, they could share the solution. then again, this could be a common problem among people w/o raid arrays also, i just dont know.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Well its definitely not the ram itself, i just switched it out with some other pc3200 and the problem persists. I also noticed that after booting up the computer from a shutdown, it says...

Verifying DMI Pool Data......Update Success

I guess i didn't notice that before, but when rebooting (where the problem lies) it says...

Verifying DMI Pool Data......

and thats it. So i think im going to read up on DMI Pool Data, and see exactly what is happening through that process.

Edited by Shabadu