Three 890GX motherboard's tested

Bosco

I am waiting to see if the Biostar boards do...?

they currently have the option on the POST screen if you have a supporting CPU... either F3 for the 3rd core or F4 to unlock the 4th core....

called Bio-Unlocker...does it auto-matically....

I want to play with a 555 to see how they perform....

I am waiting to see if the Biostar boards do...?

they currently have the option on the POST screen if you have a supporting CPU... either F3 for the 3rd core or F4 to unlock the 4th core....

called Bio-Unlocker...does it auto-matically....

I want to play with a 555 to see how they perform....

The Asus is the same. Enable the cores in the BIOS, press "4" during post or use the switch mounted on the board. Finally got a few benches together. More to come. :)

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=173467

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new here...the motherboard on my laptop which I was using for gaming died about a week ago, so I'm looking at building a new gaming desktop. The Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H and ASUS M4A89GTD PRO seem similar in many ways, except that the Gigabyte board comes with 2 USB3.0 slots at the $139.99 price on Newegg, and the Asus board does not. In the Gigabyte board review, it was mentioned that the northbridge can get hot. However, I will be using a separate Raedon HD 5830 in conjunction with the motherboard's integrated GPU, and the case I'm looking at purchasing has some rather aggressive air cooling. Anyway, here's my question: given this information, which mobo does the community here think would be better for a single-card setup? Is the USB3.0 on the Gigabyte board an attractive enough feature to outweigh the extra heat it produces?

Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Xzi

Guest ajmatson
Hey guys, new here...the motherboard on my laptop which I was using for gaming died about a week ago, so I'm looking at building a new gaming desktop. The Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H and ASUS M4A89GTD PRO seem similar in many ways, except that the Gigabyte board comes with 2 USB3.0 slots at the $139.99 price on Newegg, and the Asus board does not. In the Gigabyte board review, it was mentioned that the northbridge can get hot. However, I will be using a separate Raedon HD 5830 in conjunction with the motherboard's integrated GPU, and the case I'm looking at purchasing has some rather aggressive air cooling. Anyway, here's my question: given this information, which mobo does the community here think would be better for a single-card setup? Is the USB3.0 on the Gigabyte board an attractive enough feature to outweigh the extra heat it produces?

Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks.

If you look through the reviews again the ASUS board does have USB 3.0 on the back panel. Both boards are strong so it is a matter of preference. Each one has perks the other doesn't such as Gigabyte's 333 feature and ASUS's Core Unlocker and Overclocking features.

Xzi

I think it depends on what the rest of your setup is like. The Gigabyte with USB3 and the M4A89GTD PRO without are the same price. Do you have devices capable of using USB3? Also what CPU are you going to use. Unless something has changed in the last couple of days the Gigabyte board cannot unlock disabled cores on X2 and X3 processors. And remember the M4A89GTD PRO with USB is only $10.00 more.

Xzi

I think it depends on what the rest of your setup is like. The Gigabyte with USB3 and the M4A89GTD PRO without are the same price. Do you have devices capable of using USB3? Also what CPU are you going to use. Unless something has changed in the last couple of days the Gigabyte board cannot unlock disabled cores on X2 and X3 processors. And remember the M4A89GTD PRO with USB is only $10.00 more.

I'll be using a quad-core processor, so I'm not particularly worried about the inability to unlock cores. At the moment I have about 500GB of space left in my USB2.0 external hard drive, so I won't be getting a USB3.0 drive for a couple months, but that definitely will be the next purchase. I guess all it really comes down to is which motherboard will be the most reliable long-term? I ask mostly because both motherboards on Newegg have very few reviews, so the heat issue brought up on the Gigabyte board here raised some concerns. Do you think this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811517005 would be able to cool it enough to make it a non-issue? Or does the board heat up enough to assume that the issue will ultimately cause it to die at some point?