[WTB] Cheap graphics card with HDMI for HTPC

ivangela

Salutations all,

I'm looking for a cheap GC for my bro-in-law to put in his POS HP that he is now using as a HTPC. All he needs is  to stream Netflix in 1080p and carry sound to his TV. His TV has an HDMI in so I figured that would be easiest.

Thoughts and availability?

PS He's running a dual care E5500 @ 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM and Win7 home premium

Better off just buying a brand new one for $30 - rebate. Another option would be a $25-30 Chromecast and do away with the HTPC or turn it into a storage server.

Any recommendations for a $30 GC?

They have their PC hooked up to the TV now, as that is their monitor, but they use crappy PC speakers hooked up to the onboard sound.

The TV sound is way better.

$10 after MIR, if you want to risk that not going through. Just make sure you send them everything. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131338

Newegg search set for lowest price + 1x HDMI. Looks like its either going to be a Geforce 210 or Radeon 5450 at $30 mark.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600031507&IsNodeId=1&name=1%20x%20HDMI&Order=PRICE

----------

Also check eBay if you find a model you want, but not the price. I think there are like 1-2 used models for $15 when I did a quick search for 5450.

Edited by AZNguyen

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread as I now have to replace my GPU in the HTPC in my sig.

When playing Youtube vids or streaming movies, it sometimes just goes black. I assume it's the video card but can't test with my other card without taking the whole MB out of the case, (too lazy for that) as it doesn't fit.

Any thoughts or newer recommendations as it is now a year later.

I found this for $30 after rebate, $40 before.

Thanks again ya'll!