SSD LOADING

Busterbvi

I am about to finish up my PC upgrade by replacing the HDD's with one or two SSD's. My OS lives on a 120GB SSD and I like to keep my apps and games on separate drives. 

My thinking is to get two new 240GB SSD's,  one for games (mainly FSX, DCS World, Dirt 3, Medal of Honour etc) and one for apps.  The other option would be to get one 480 GB SSD and chuck everything on there with a partition maybe ?

Is there really any need to partition SSD's  or would load times be just as fast if not partitioned ?

Thanks.  Buster.

Edited by Busterbvi

Unless you plan to use the two partitions at the same time under heavy load (such as transferring video files to an from BOTH partitions to another drive) I don;t see much of a hit if any with a partition.  As for the need to partition the "extra" drive...I don't see the need at all, I understand keeping the OS separate even if the Windows registry makes it a pain to redo the OS and attempt to keep the programs intact it can be done with some things.  

Another thing to keep in mind with games is some are highly optimized and work just as fast off a HDD as an SSD.  For example, Battlefield Bad Company 2 was in it's later days and Battlefield 3 had just launched around the time I got my first SSD (the SSD came a bit before BF3 actually). Bad Company 2 loads maps VERY quickly on an SSD or Hard drive with it being VERY hard to tell the difference.  Battlefiled 3 and now 4 on the other hand show HUGE improvements using a SSD vs mechanical drive (with the odd exception of BF4's second assault map pack loading nearly as fast on a buddy of mine's old 500GB HDD as my SSDs where as I've already killed 2 people before he loads in normally)  In other words you might not be getting as huge of a boost off moving some programs to Solid State storage as you expect so keep that in mind when considering the price of the upgrade unless budget just isn't as issue for you.

Thanks for the input chaps. It seems the definitive answer is that the load times will be the same if I lump games and apps all together on one large non partitioned SSD ?

Am I correct ?

Looking at the Samsung Evo 1TB at $459 on Amazon, seems like a good deal ! (Very good reviews)

Edited by Busterbvi

Buy the single largest SSD you can afford and put everything you can on there.  I personally like to keep at least 25 to 30% free space on the SSD after everything is installed.  Adding extra SSDs or partitioning only complicates the system.

The only reason I can find for going the multi-SSD route is; if you already had a good (but small SSD) and wanted to increase space cost effectively by adding another and running RAID0.

The only reason I can find for going the multi-SSD route is; if you already had a good (but small SSD) and wanted to increase space cost effectively by adding another and running RAID0.

There's nothing wrong with multiple ssd's in a non raid config though. I've had up to four ssd's in my laptop and no issues with that setup.

There's nothing wrong with multiple ssd's in a non raid config though. I've had up to four ssd's in my laptop and no issues with that setup.

I agree that there isn't anything "wrong" with it.  But I'd have to question what you gain by running four SSDs in your laptop...................?  What are the tangible benefits.

Well two of them are now raided in my desktop. But didn't really gain anything other than more storage space. It has the room for them and there's really nothing to lose. I also like to have two for recording games. Run the OS/game on one and write to the other.