not sure if correct space, but erhm.... why do people fold? xD

WarWeeny

this is a serious question, you can laugh at me if you will, but i have seen people folding but i never understood why.

what purpose does it have?

why are people folding and why some people dont fold?

these are the things that keep me up at night (yeh i know, i dont have a life) so i want an answer xP

if this is not the correct space, redirect pl0x ;)

To help cure diseases by understanding how the work. Go the folding at home website it'll tell you everything you could possibly want to know.

Some people won't fold due to money, heat, not caring, not knowing or whatever other reason.

• Like 1

Folding@home, in case you didn't know, is a distributed computing project that allows researchers to use the brute force of many normal computers to simulate protein folding, which is important to advancing knowledge in medicine and biology. Since you get points when you complete folding jobs, a highly oc'd computer with good specs will get more points per day than slower computers.

Its kind of like a giant benchmarking game where you try to beat out the competitors' PCs, but the end result is more than just e-peen, its for a good cause, as medical discoveries can be made with the information.

Some may choose not to participate for several reasons, maybe they use their computer for other intensive tasks too often, they are afraid folding for a long time can be hard on components, or maybe the energy use is too expensive. Others might not know or care about the project. (As stoner boy mentioned)

Edited by 90sgamer

Folding@home, in case you didn't know, is a distributed computing project that allows researchers to use the brute force of many normal computers to simulate protein folding, which is important to advancing knowledge in medicine and biology. Since you get points when you completing folding jobs, a highly oc'd computer with good specs will get more points per day than slower computers.

Its kind of like a giant benchmarking game where you try to beat out the competitors' PCs, but the end result is more than just e-peen, its for a good cause, as medical discoveries can be made with the information.

but i can still play games etc while folding or is this an idle thing? (lets say stress testing is an idle thing, you cant do much then watch the screen)

Edited by WarWeeny

It's an idle thing and even than I found laggy webbroswing to be an annoyance so I won't fold . Either I'm working or browsing the web , otherwise my computer is off.

probably not a gaming thing but I've never had a problem folding when browsing. The programs are written to be the lowest priority for your CPU, so when you need CPU cycles for other things, like playing games or surfing or whatev, the folding takes a back seat  :foldon:

this is a serious question, you can laugh at me if you will, but i have seen people folding but i never understood why.

these are the things that keep me up at night (yeh i know, i dont have a life) so i want an answer xP

I do it because I dont like wrinkles and the clothes just take up less space when Folded, That couple with appearance is everything and it's just good practice to keep things tidy and orderly...LOL

I do it because I dont like wrinkles and the clothes just take up less space when Folded, That couple with appearance is everything and it's just good practice to keep things tidy and orderly...LOL

+1, I fold everything but my socks,lol .

jeez, i have forgotten practicaly everything "folding",....do i need a passkey ? if not, how do i get around it during the setup/startup proceedure ? and if so, where do i get it from ?,....a couple or three years ago i had this wired, but from the looks of it there have been some major changes since then,....