AMD Phenom II X4 975 & 840 Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong, but i think the graph for the overclocking speeds and the first graph for the apophysis are the same...both have the exact same values and the speeds on the overclock graph dont match what is stated as the speed for the 975.

I may be wrong, but i think the graph for the overclocking speeds and the first graph for the apophysis are the same...both have the exact same values and the speeds on the overclock graph dont match what is stated as the speed for the 975.

Your right. I will have Alan correct it.

Why is the 840 a Phenom II if it has no L3 cache? shouldn't they have called it an Athlon II doh.gif

My thoughts exactly, it is just a Athlon that seems to overclock slightly higher than normal :/

Edited by gabrieltessin

And the 975 is a 955 that's priced slightly higher than normal :lol:

While the 975is an overclocking champion the difference between the two are negligible. The 975 still out clocks almost ever 955 I have ever seen and I am willing to bet it will out clock the 955 consistently with the exception of a golden 955 chip or two.

So if you have to have the absolute highest clock possible on an AM3 system I guess this is a very good chip, but if you were building a new system and you wanted to overclock it to the stars an LGA 1155 i5 2500K would be a much better option for the same price.

While the 975is an overclocking champion the difference between the two are negligible. The 975 still out clocks almost ever 955 I have ever seen and I am willing to bet it will out clock the 955 consistently with the exception of a golden 955 chip or two.

So if you have to have the absolute highest clock possible on an AM3 system I guess this is a very good chip, but if you were building a new system and you wanted to overclock it to the stars an LGA 1155 i5 2500K would be a much better option for the same price.

I'm just saying if one is buying any higher priced AMD option it's never a good idea. They always trail Intel by a good bit, so the only advantage is the money savings which the 975 would give less of. I hope Bulldozer changes this trend but I'm pretty sure the current trend will never change (as the graphics card market has been the same)