Gigabyte AMD Motherboard Roundup

Nemo

Reviewer ajmatson has assembled four Gigabyte AMD boards based the 770 chipset, the 785G chipset and the 790X chipset into a single roundup review which you can check out here - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/gigabyte_roundup/

Guest ajmatson
It does bum me out about the SATA placement on the 785G board.

Me too. I was really shooting for it as well. It did end up being used as a server board however, since it has the built in video which it tackles the task very well. :)

I just want to ask what CPU cooler were you using in the article and what were you temperature readings (idle & load) as well as the ambient temperature on the 790XT board?

The processor was the Phenom II X4 955 under water. I did not take the readings for temps while doing the roundup however, right now my Phenom II X4 965 is sitting on my 790FX board (Very close to the 790X) and it is idling at 39C and loads around 49C with a 24C Ambient. Take in account also the 955 is a 95w processor and the 965 is a 140w processor so the 965 is going to be higher.

Me too. I was really shooting for it as well. It did end up being used as a server board however, since it has the built in video which it tackles the task very well. :)

The processor was the Phenom II X4 955 under water. I did not take the readings for temps while doing the roundup however, right now my Phenom II X4 965 is sitting on my 790FX board (Very close to the 790X) and it is idling at 39C and loads around 49C with a 24C Ambient. Take in account also the 955 is a 95w processor and the 965 is a 140w processor so the 965 is going to be higher.

Are you using the stock cooler of your 965

Nice roundup and part of the reasoning I went for a Gigabyte for my latest upgrade. Oh and I just got my MA790XT the other day and it does too have 90 degree sata ports, unless you meant something else. :huh:

Guest ajmatson

The 790X does however, the other ones dont which kills it for the MA785GMT-UD2H which is the board I referred to as being blocked off with large cards. The 790X board is a very solid board :)

Oh good because this is only my 4th build and I was sorely disappointed with the board I chose for my first build (see my sig) and I was hoping I did my homework right this time. Almost went with a 780G because that's what went into the other 2 builds and they worked well, but they are not serious over-clockers. Hopefully I'll have my case painted and the wire sleeving done soon so I can fire this puppy up!

Edited by ocmooz